POP3 / SMTP Server for small network ???

POP3 / SMTP Server for small network ???

Post by Raj Rijhwa » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking to set up (on the main Linux server) some sort of
> SMTP/POP3 server.  The basic idea is that the server would receive
> incoming email via SMTP from another local machine and store the mail
> for collection by individual users using their own email clients and
> accessing using POP3 protocol.

The slackware version I installed (admittedly now outdated - 3.0)
came with a pop3d already available.

It's quite possible that you're only dependent on getting your SMTP/user
config right, so that the mail gets held in the right mailboxes on the
server.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...

http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk/raj/ (demon, and gods, willing...)

Post by John Winte » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I run a small network of five computers here.  Some run Linux and some
>Win 95.  All are set up with network cards and run TCP/IP over the
>LAN.

>I am looking to set up (on the main Linux server) some sort of
>SMTP/POP3 server.  The basic idea is that the server would receive
>incoming email via SMTP from another local machine and store the mail
>for collection by individual users using their own email clients and
>accessing using POP3 protocol.

>Can anyone suggest what software would be suitable for use on the
>Linux system ?

What distribution of Linux are you using?  RedHat at least comes with
all the necessary software as standard.  I imagine the other main
distributions aren't much different.

John

--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

Want to buy Linux CDs cheaply in the UK?  Join the Linux Buyers' Consortium.
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/lbc.html>

Post by Mark Brow » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I run a small network of five computers here.  Some run Linux and some
> Win 95.  All are set up with network cards and run TCP/IP over the
> LAN.
> I am looking to set up (on the main Linux server) some sort of
> SMTP/POP3 server.  The basic idea is that the server would receive
> incoming email via SMTP from another local machine and store the mail
> for collection by individual users using their own email clients and
> accessing using POP3 protocol.
> Can anyone suggest what software would be suitable for use on the
> Linux system ?

Most Linux systems should do this out of the box with a simple SMTP
setup - RedHat and Slackware certainly do.  There's very little you
specifically need to do, beyond installing sendmail and a POP demon
and getting sendmail (the software which does the SMTP bit) set up
right.

For a simple setup (SMTP doesn't need to do any funny stuff), going
with the default setup from the distribution should be fine.

--

            http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/7537/

Post by Peter N. M. Hanste » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I am looking to set up (on the main Linux server) some sort of
>SMTP/POP3 server.  The basic idea is that the server would receive
>incoming email via SMTP from another local machine and store the mail
>for collection by individual users using their own email clients and
>accessing using POP3 protocol.

I'd be very surprised if your Linux system doesn't already include all
the bits you need. I run a fairly standard redhat 4.1 system, which
includes ipop3d, all set up to run via the inetd wrapper. All you
would really need to do is tell your pop clients to fetch the mail
from your mail spooling server.

- Peter

--
As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of US$250 per hour.  Delivery of

POP3 / SMTP Server for small network ???

Post by Rick Mo » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[Follow-ups snipped to just comp.os.linux.setup.  Please don't cross-post!]

: I run a small network of five computers here.  Some run Linux and some
: Win 95.  All are set up with network cards and run TCP/IP over the
: LAN.

: I am looking to set up (on the main Linux server) some sort of
: SMTP/POP3 server.  The basic idea is that the server would receive
: incoming email via SMTP from another local machine and store the mail
: for collection by individual users using their own email clients and
: accessing using POP3 protocol.

: Can anyone suggest what software would be suitable for use on the
: Linux system ?

Very likely, you _already have_ both SMTP and POP3 daemons installed
and running.

Try this from your Linux's command line:

telnet localhost 25

You'll probably get something like this:

   Trying 127.0.0.1...
   Connected to localhost.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   220 hugin.imat.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.4/8.8.4; Sat, 4 Oct 1997
      00:05:13 -0700

Port 25 is the SMTP TCP port:  By telnetting into it, you are speaking
directly to the sendmail program (or equivalent) that handles SMTP
mail on your machine.  Type "quit" to close the port.

Then, try this:

telnet localhost 110

You'll probably see something like this:

   Trying 127.0.0.1...
   Connected to localhost.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   +OK hugin.imat.com POP3 3.3(20) w/IMAP2 client (Comments to

This is the POP3 daemon, reached by telnetting directly to the POP3
port, TCP port 110.  Type "quit" again to close the port.

Any Linux distribution I can think of will come with SMTP and POP3
daemons installed and operational by default.

--
Cheers,                            The box said "Windows 95, Windows NT
Rick Moen                          4.0, or better", so I installed Linux.