Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,

Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,

Post by Jonas Datu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I am currently building a Win98 Machine. I was thinking of
installing
Win2000 and Red-Hat or some other version of Linux. I would
Install Win98
and Linux on one or two harddrives, and Win2000 on another. How
would I go
about installing them. If memory serves, I have to install Win98
first.

How would I perform the task?? How would I go about undoing
it!?!?! In other
words How would I do and UNDO this?

Thanks For Your Help!!!??

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,

> How would I perform the task?? How would I go about undoing
> it!?!?! In other words How would I do and UNDO this?

> Thanks For Your Help!!!??

Hello!
"Experience shows that nobody learned from other people experience".
OK, the lesson I learned when doing those is:
VERY IMPORTANT - in every OS create a resque diskette, which is part of
installation procedure, DON'T SKIP THIS.
Prepare DOS booting diskette with FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM on it.
Start the activity by starting installation of Linux. One of the first
actions during install is to create the necessary partitions. I am using
Slackware and install in swap and root, not playing with the
partitioning needed by real multiuser server.(Maximum users on my box,
root - meaning me, and stan - meaning me too). Those partitions take
about half of mine 4.3G drive. Now exit the fdisk or cfdisk of Linux
writing this partitioning to partition table.
Boot from DOS diskette. FDISK will find two NON-DOS partitions and
create DOS partition on the free space - good. Install Windows9x in this
space.
Back to Linux installation - Linux finds the partitions prepared and
installs itself including LILO which smells the Windows9x partition and
includes it in booting choices.
Sorry, that is as far as I go, Win2k is a strange beast to me and after
taming Linux I am not starting another circus.
And as the SuSE slogan goes "Have a lot of fun..."

--
    ******* Stanislaw ********
Monolog - one person talking to himself,

Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,

Post by Stefan B?hringe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hm,...
I've learned that partioning both with linux and dos fdisk may do harm to
your partition table with one fdisk using different mapping than the other
and by that destroying the information for the other OS.

Which kernel/fdisk version are your using?
Is it now safe to switch between dos/linux fdisk?

Best wishes, Stefan

Quote:> [...] Start the activity by starting installation of Linux. One of the
first
> actions during install is to create the necessary partitions. I am using
> Slackware and install in swap and root, not playing with the
> partitioning needed by real multiuser server.(Maximum users on my box,
> root - meaning me, and stan - meaning me too). Those partitions take
> about half of mine 4.3G drive. Now exit the fdisk or cfdisk of Linux
> writing this partitioning to partition table.
> Boot from DOS diskette. FDISK will find two NON-DOS partitions and
> create DOS partition on the free space - good. Install Windows9x in this
> space.[...]

Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,

Post by Stefan B?hringe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hm,...
I've learned that partioning both with linux and dos fdisk may do harm to
your partition table with one fdisk using different mapping than the other
and by that destroying the information for the other OS.

Which kernel/fdisk version are your using?
Is it now safe to switch between dos/linux fdisk?

Best wishes, Stefan

Quote:> [...] Start the activity by starting installation of Linux. One of the
first
> actions during install is to create the necessary partitions. I am using
> Slackware and install in swap and root, [...] Now exit the fdisk or cfdisk
of Linux
> writing this partitioning to partition table.
> Boot from DOS diskette. FDISK will find two NON-DOS partitions and
> create DOS partition on the free space - good. Install Windows9x in this
> space.

Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Which kernel/fdisk version are your using?
> Is it now safe to switch between dos/linux fdisk?

> Best wishes, Stefan

Hallo!
Slackware booting diskettes from Slack96 till Slack7 usually bare.i
image (till I got SCSI card, since the .s variety)
DOS 6.2 or 7 (aka Chicago, aka Windows95)
Both fdisk, cfdisk and FDISK.EXE read what the other wrote but the MS
version cannot read what file system is on those partitions. (anything
strange is NON-DOS).
The partitioning of HD is understood, what is overwritten is the booting
sector when installing systems, that is why I recommended doing Windows
first and Linux later. This way the Linux partitions take the lower
numbered cylinders and avoid possible hickups with 1024, Windows does
not mind where it is installed.
Cheers.

    ******* Stanislaw ********
Monolog - one person talking to himself,
dialog - two people talking to themselves.
                         -Shaike Ofir-

1. Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Win2000,Win98, Linux,

Hello,

I am currently building a Win98 Machine. I was thinking of
installing
Win2000 and Red-Hat or some other version of Linux. I would
Install Win98
and Linux on one or two harddrives, and Win2000 on another. How
would I go
about installing them. If memory serves, I have to install Win98
first.

How would I perform the task?? How would I go about undoing
it!?!?! In other
words How would I do and UNDO this?

Thanks For Your Help!!!??
JD

2. color in xterm not always enabeled

3. Installing Win98, Win2000 and Linux on one PC?!

4. Dead keys handling under X11?

5. Installing&Uninstalling More Than One OS Help

6. PPP Config...

7. installing win98,win2000&linux 7.1

8. tcpdump - listening on all devices?

9. Installing Win98, Linux & Win2000 Pro

10. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

11. problem of disk drive letter with win98, win2000, linux on one HD

12. Help! Install LINUX,Win2000,Win98?

13. Install win98, win2000, and linux?