LILO vs. LoadLin

Post by NTK » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What are the PROs and CONs of LILO and LoadLin on a system with Win9x and
Linux?  I previously had a problem with LILO in MBR when it got corrupted,
I say this without going into too much of detail.  Anyways, I am about to
give it another try and just wanted to know what resctrictions/limitation
each of the two boot loader.

Thanks.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

LILO vs. LoadLin

Post by Richard Wils » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>What are the PROs and CONs of LILO and LoadLin on a system with Win9x and
>Linux?  I previously had a problem with LILO in MBR when it got corrupted,
>I say this without going into too much of detail.  Anyways, I am about to
>give it another try and just wanted to know what resctrictions/limitation
>each of the two boot loader.

Write LILO to the Linux boot partition. Then set that partition as the
active one. Now whenever you boot you go directly to the LILO in the
Linux boot partition where the decision of what partition to boot is
done there.
Avoids messing with the MBR. Avoids MBR virus troubles. Allows you to
continue to use the MBR blocking option (write/virus protection) in
your BIOS settings. :)

LILO vs. LoadLin

Post by Tom Pfeife » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> What are the PROs and CONs of LILO and LoadLin on a system with Win9x and
> Linux?  I previously had a problem with LILO in MBR when it got corrupted,
> I say this without going into too much of detail.  Anyways, I am about to
> give it another try and just wanted to know what resctrictions/limitation
> each of the two boot loader.

While Lilo is much more customizable, Loadlin does have the advantage of
being able to boot a Linux partition that is beyond 1024 cylinders on a
drive, while Lilo can not.

Loadlin is also good to have around as a backup booting method if Lilo
for some reason stops working, and you don't have a boot floppy. You can
always boot Linux  DOS partition (or a DOS floppy) if you have a copy of
Loadlin and a kernel handy.

Tom

LILO vs. LoadLin

Post by Jeff Pierc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have used loadlin and lilo and pick your flavor as far as what they
do. Loadlin does allow booting with linux beyond the 1024 cylinder mark.
If Win95 and Linux are all you are booting loadlin is safer as it
doesn't muck with boot sectors. (In fact that is why I use loadlin, when
I first started using Linux the guide said loadlin was safer because it
didn't touch your boot sectors) You just have to have the booting image
in the dos partition. I have a directory C:\linux that has loadlin and
bootable images. Plus if you want to test an image , just set another
menu option in dos's config.sys. My config.sys contains:

switches = /f
[menu]
menuitem=WIN95
menuitem=LINUX
menuitem=HDC1
menuitem=SOUND
menuitem=HDB6_SOUND
menuitem=TEST_36
me*fault=LINUX,10
menucolor=14

[LINUX]
SHELL=C:\LINUX\LOADLIN1.EXE C:\LINUX\ZIMAGE.MAS ROOT=/DEV/HDB6 RO
VGA=EXTENDED

[HDC1]
SHELL=C:\LINUX\LOADLIN1.EXE C:\LINUX\ZIMAGE.MAS ROOT=/DEV/HDC1 RO
VGA=EXTENDED

[SOUND]
SHELL=C:\LINUX\LOADLIN1.EXE C:\LINUX\ZIMAGE.SND ROOT=/DEV/HDC1 RO
VGA=EXTENDED

[HDB6_SOUND]
SHELL=C:\LINUX\LOADLIN1.EXE C:\LINUX\HDB6.SND ROOT=/DEV/HDB6 RO
VGA=EXTENDED

[TEST_36]
SHELL=C:\LINUX\LOADLIN1.EXE C:\LINUX\ZIMAGE.36 ROOT=/DEV/HDC1 RO
VGA=EXTENDED

As you can see I have several images for testing and a spare partition I
use for testing new software installations.

--
Jeff Pierce