WHY doesn't the new version of GCC not work properly ?!

WHY doesn't the new version of GCC not work properly ?!

Post by Arno H.P. Reus » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I simply can't properly install a new version of GCC and since I've
read about every HOWTO and README about the subject I've taken the
liberty of asking you experts for advice.

I would like to install GCC version 2.7.2.3 which I need to install a
new kernel. I work with kernel version 1.2 (Slackware release).
Hoewever, after downloading and unpacking, when i type 'gcc', linux
responds with

        bash: /usr/bin/gcc: No such file or directory

As you will understand, gcc IS located in the directory /usr/bin and
the persmissions are all right. I have downloaded and installed the
following files :

        gcc-2.7.2.3.bin.tar.gz
        libc-5.4.33.bin.tar.gz
        binutils-2.8.0.3.tar.gz

from root and I have executed everything in the acompanying HOWTO's
and README's.

It doesn't work, however. I have the feeling that I've forgotten
something silly. Can anybody help me by pointing me to the correct
manuals?
Have I forgotten certain important files to install? Which ones?

It's such a pitty it doesn't work. Compiling a new Kernel (I upgraded
from 1.1.59 to 1.2.0) was a hell of a lot easier then this!

TIA,

Arno Reuser

Post by Feng L » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:Reuser) writes:

> I simply can't properly install a new version of GCC and since I've
> read about every HOWTO and README about the subject I've taken the
> liberty of asking you experts for advice.

> I would like to install GCC version 2.7.2.3 which I need to install a
> new kernel. I work with kernel version 1.2 (Slackware release).
> Hoewever, after downloading and unpacking, when i type 'gcc', linux
> responds with

>    bash: /usr/bin/gcc: No such file or directory

> As you will understand, gcc IS located in the directory /usr/bin and
> the persmissions are all right. I have downloaded and installed the
> following files :

>    gcc-2.7.2.3.bin.tar.gz
>    libc-5.4.33.bin.tar.gz
>    binutils-2.8.0.3.tar.gz

> from root and I have executed everything in the acompanying HOWTO's
> and README's.

I had exactly the same problem as yours with my Redhat 4.2 system.
If you get any responses, please let me know.
I was also trying to get the newest g77-0.5.21 compiled with
gcc-2.7.2.3.bin.tar.gz.

WHY doesn't the new version of GCC not work properly ?!

Post by Henrik Storn » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to install GCC version 2.7.2.3 which I need to install a
>new kernel. I work with kernel version 1.2 (Slackware release).
>Hoewever, after downloading and unpacking, when i type 'gcc', linux
>responds with
>    bash: /usr/bin/gcc: No such file or directory

Does your 1.2 kernel have support for ELF binaries ? Around kernel 1.2,
the default format of executables in Linux changed from a.out (aka
"ZMAGIC", "QMAGIC") to ELF - if your kernel does not have the necessary
support for loading ELF binaries, your /usr/bin/gcc isn't recognized as an
executable program.

Quote:>the persmissions are all right. I have downloaded and installed the
>following files :
>    gcc-2.7.2.3.bin.tar.gz
>    libc-5.4.33.bin.tar.gz
>    binutils-2.8.0.3.tar.gz

Hmm - you might need an update to ld.so also.

Quote:>Have I forgotten certain important files to install? Which ones?

It sounds like you are trying to upgrade from a 1.2 kernel to a 2.0
kernel. That is a pretty big step - a lot of software needs to be
upgraded; gcc, libc, binutils are only the beginning. Look at the
Documentation/Changes file that comes with the 2.0.x kernel sources,
if you haven't already.

Quote:>It's such a pitty it doesn't work. Compiling a new Kernel (I upgraded
>from 1.1.59 to 1.2.0) was a hell of a lot easier then this!

The 1.1.x kernels culminated in the 1.2.0 release - there is much less
difference between 1.1.59/1.2.0 then between 1.2.0/2.0.0.

--
Henrik Storner

1. Why doesn't crypt() work properly?

        If this is in a FAQ, I'm sorry.
        The subject line pretty much says it all.  Why doesn't the
crypt(...) function call work properly.  That is, why does it only return
the first 13 characters of an encrypted password?
        Thanks for any help.
        -Peter Federighi
----
Peter Federighi

float o=0.075,h=1.5,T,r,O,l,I;int _,L=80,s=3200;main(void){for(;s%L||
(h-=o,T=-2),s;4-(r=O*O)<(l=I*I)|++_==L&&write(1,(--s%L?_<L?--_%6:6:7)
+"World! \n",1)&&(O=I=l=_=r=0,T+=o/2))O=I*2*O+h,I=l+T-r;}

2. rh7.1: switching the install drive

3. Why my gcc can't work properly?

4. imap

5. Why doesn't this work (sh) and what's the (t)csh version?

6. SPARCbook FAQ (v19990609)

7. 'less' command doesn't work properly in searching strings...

8. Request for help on thesis about: Linux vs. AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, and Tru64 UNIX.

9. 'su -c' doesn't work properly?

10. PROBLEM: 'sed' script 's/^ /\n/' not working properly

11. Why doesn't it work in the new release

12. > ksh children won't die ; exec doesn't work properly (solution)

13. ksh children won't die ; exec doesn't work properly; ksh -p