'Root disc problems'

Post by Bryan Galvi » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am attempting to install Linux for the first time and have run into
difficulties at the loading of the 'root disc'. I am trying to install
the Slackware version 3.0 using the suggested boot and root disc
configurations and have taken the extra precaution of removing my modem
and sound cards before installation.
    However, the boot disc appears to load fine and I do not send any
additional paramters to the kernel, but when loading the root disc the
systems halts after 30-40 seconds and does not return any error messages
or conflict warnings.
    The system unto which I am attempting to install linux is a 486 with
4MB ram and 325 MB IDE hard drive. I am using a SONY CDU55E CD ROM and
using the appropriate root disc as the manual literature suggests. I am
not using any partitions as I wish to have Linux as the sole OS on this
PC.
    Have I overlooked anything obvious or is anyone aware of what may be
causing the problem. To the best of my knowledge all jumpers are set
correctly on the boards and like I said I even took the added precaution
of removing any 'unneeded' boards at installation.
    I am eager to gain experience in the advantages and aspects of Linux
and how it performs much better than my original OS (MSDOS), so thanks
for any replies or hints to where I can find information that can help
me get over this initial hurdle.

Grateful.

Bryan Galvin.