resizing virtual desktop

Post by rob » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

How do you start gnome without being in a virtual desktop? When gnome
starts, everything is so big as to be unusable. I looked at my xf86config
file, and the virtual line seems to be commented out. I would like to use a
resolution of 1024 x 768, and am using the svga driver. rob

resizing virtual desktop

Post by J Bla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>How do you start gnome without being in a virtual desktop? When gnome
>starts, everything is so big as to be unusable. I looked at my xf86config
>file, and the virtual line seems to be commented out. I would like to use a
>resolution of 1024 x 768, and am using the svga driver. rob

Make sure the largest resolution at the bitdepth you are using is 1024x768.
This will be the size of the desktop when you are start up and also the size
of the virtual desktop if you switch to other resolutions eg 800x600, with
CTRL-ALT-(+/-).

Usually you can simply do this by editing /etc/XF86Config and adding
"1024x768" to the bitdepth you use, and removing anything larger.

Frinky

resizing virtual desktop

Post by Andy Kinse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> How do you start gnome without being in a virtual desktop? When gnome
> starts, everything is so big as to be unusable. I looked at my xf86config
> file, and the virtual line seems to be commented out. I would like to use a
> resolution of 1024 x 768, and am using the svga driver. rob

Rob,

I just found out how to do this myself, from the FAQ located at
www.xfree86.org. Basically you have to go to the "Screen" section of the
XF86Config file, and delete any resolution HIGHER than the 1024x768 that you
are going to use.

Hope this helps.

Andy

resizing virtual desktop

Post by Neil Cerut » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Andy Kinsey posted:

>> How do you start gnome without being in a virtual desktop? When gnome
>> starts, everything is so big as to be unusable. I looked at my xf86config
>> file, and the virtual line seems to be commented out. I would like to use a
>> resolution of 1024 x 768, and am using the svga driver. rob

>Rob,

>I just found out how to do this myself, from the FAQ located at
>www.xfree86.org. Basically you have to go to the "Screen"
>section of the XF86Config file, and delete any resolution HIGHER
>than the 1024x768 that you are going to use.

Also, the resolution you wish to be the default should be first in
line.

--

Linux on board. It is now safe to turn on your computer.