Lilo: how to force a new boot sector?

Post by Scott A. McIntyr » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:28:34

Hi,

I recently switched from RedHat to Debian/Sid distributions and have been
plagued by a slightly annoying problem ever since.  Initially, I installed
Debian on a new disk, telling RH's lilo configuration where to use root and
the kernel (copied to the RH disk whenever I built one for Debian)...

Now I want to dump RedHat, and have a new lilo (or grub, if there are good
pointers on replacing lilo with grub), from Debian/Sid, in charge.

Unfortunately, running lilo now generates:

Fatal: First boot sector is version 21.4. Expecting version 21.7.

Which isn't something I've been able to overcome.  Short of booting dos and
fdisk'ing /mbr is there any way at all to force the newer version of
debian's lilo to use the MBR/boot sector that comes with it and Do The
Right Thing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott

Lilo: how to force a new boot sector?

Post by Eric » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 18:58:30

Quote:> Fatal: First boot sector is version 21.4. Expecting version 21.7.

> Which isn't something I've been able to overcome.  Short of booting dos
and
> fdisk'ing /mbr is there any way at all to force the newer version of
> debian's lilo to use the MBR/boot sector that comes with it and Do The
> Right Thing?

You haven't updated correctly.
Make sure to have the right files in /boot

Eric

Post by S. Par » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:36:25

> Hi,

> I recently switched from RedHat to Debian/Sid distributions and have
> been plagued by a slightly annoying problem ever since.  Initially, I
> installed Debian on a new disk, telling RH's lilo configuration where to
> use root and the kernel (copied to the RH disk whenever I built one for
> Debian)...

> Now I want to dump RedHat, and have a new lilo (or grub, if there are
> good pointers on replacing lilo with grub), from Debian/Sid, in charge.

> Unfortunately, running lilo now generates:

> Fatal: First boot sector is version 21.4. Expecting version 21.7.

> Which isn't something I've been able to overcome.  Short of booting dos
> and fdisk'ing /mbr is there any way at all to force the newer version of
> debian's lilo to use the MBR/boot sector that comes with it and Do The
> Right Thing?

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> Scott

Can you post lilo.conf in Debian which you want to setup as MBR LILO?

Regards.

1. The Problem -- The new lilo won't overwrite the old boot sector.

Lilo question --

Summary --

The Problem -- The new lilo won't overwrite the old boot sector.

First boot sector has a pre-21 LILO signature

Details --

I ran redhat 4.2 on a dual ppro for years.
The boot scheme was a small dos drive as /dev/hda (mounted as /dosc),
a CD as /dev/hdb, and the linux drive as /dev/hdc.  The boot
stuff was on /dosc.

I added a new drive /dev/hdd and put linux 6.0 on it.  I used LILO under 4.2
to add the new rh6.0 kernel.  This works, but is a) inconvenient, and
b) I can't get my home-made kernel to boot.  I want to solve a).

Here's some of lilo.conf
===========
# Start LILO global section
boot=/dev/hda
install=/dosc/linboot/boot.b
map=/dosc/linboot/map
# 990627 try to add the smp kernel.
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
delay = 300
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
# Rearrange 971228
# Rearrange 971229 -- replace hdb with hdd, add hdd=chs lines, delete
# all refrences to hdc.
# Sat Oct 16 05:26:49 EDT 1999 use old lilo to get around
# "pre 21 signature problem".  Add smp22120
#
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins

# here's the old 4.2 kernel, with the old /root
image = /dosc/linboot/lin2034
  label=pprosmp
  append="ether=eth0,7,0x280  hdc=638,255,63  hda=989,12,35"
  root = /dev/hdc3

# the uniprocessor rh6.0 with the new /root
image = /dosc/linboot/lin22515
  label=rh6.0
  append="ether=eth0,7,0x280  hdc=638,255,63  hda=989,12,35"
  root = /dev/hdd1

# the distributed SMP kernel from 6.0
image = /dosc/linboot/smp22515
  label=rh6smp
  append="ether=eth0,7,0x280  hdc=638,255,63  hda=989,12,35"
  root = /dev/hdd1

# my home-built kernel
image = /dosc/linboot/smp22120
  label=smp22120

===========================

The Problem -- The new lilo won't overwrite the old boot sector.

First boot sector has a pre-21 LILO signature

I've tried lilo -u under 4.2 and 6.0, and dos fdisk/r.

If anyone has a clue they would like to share, I'd appreciate it --

2. How to measure T-1 capacity?

3. LILO: what does lilo write in boot sector?

4. Linux wysiwyg wordprocessor...

5. LILO: First boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature

6. scsi =ncr 53c400 scanner=microtek ll (3 pass) system=i486 help?

7. How to erase boot LILO from master boot sector ?

8. Hitting modem from script

9. LILO - main boot or first partition of boot sector?

10. How to erase boot LILO from master boot sector ?

11. LILO croaked- boot sector left corrupted

12. Lilo boot sector after Windows 98 installation

13. Help : Corrupt LILO in hard disk boot sector