Is a FULL install to /hdd possible anymore?

Post by Steven Brook » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> From my experience with the Red Hat install script (RH5.0) there is
> absolutely NO way of installing Linux to /hdd. It is not an option!
> You are *forced* to install Linux on either /hda OR /hdb, in other
> words it can only be installed to a drive on the primary IDE channel!
> I quoted the Red Hat 5.2 (what Mandrake 5.3 is based on) manual
> because it appears to have the same rigid rules as RH 5.0: no installs
> to /hdc or /hdd due to BIOS limitations :( . This seems like a huge
> step backwards to me. I'm probably like a lot of other people out
> there in that I have no more room on /hda and /hdb and /hdc is pretty
> full also <g>. I have an old 2.5 gig IDE hard drive that I would like
> to make my fourth and final drive (/hdd) and dedicate the whole thing
> to a fresh Linux installation (I wanted to try Mandrake 5.3).

> Red Hat and it's variants won't allow me to do this. Will Slackware
> (still) allow this?

I've installed RH5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 to hdc.  Never had any problems.
I have a P200MMX, with a PnP BIOS that can handle up to 4 hard
drives, so an older BIOS might cause problems.  There should be
no difference installing to hdd rather than hdc (no more than hdb
instead of hda).

Steven

Post by L J Bay » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Is it possible to do a *complete* Linux installation to /hdd, the 4th
>IDE hard drive, (the slave drive on the secondary IDE channel)?
>From the Red Hat 5.2 manual:
>2.7.4.1 BIOS-Related Limitations Impacting LILO
>"LILO is subject to some limitations imposed by the BIOS in most
>Intel-based computers. Specifically, most BIOSes can't access more
>than two hard drives" <snip>

>This is simply NOT correct. Maybe *some* can't, but the vast majority
>of BIOSes (in use today) can see FOUR IDE drives. Is Slackware
>shackled by this constraint now also?

The quote from Red Hat is correct but it only applies to booting,
when the BIOS is in control. That's why you should put LILO somewhere
like the MBR of your first disk. Once the system is up, of course,
it can get to lots of drives.

Quote:>From my experience with the Red Hat install script (RH5.0) there is
>absolutely NO way of installing Linux to /hdd. It is not an option!
>Red Hat and it's variants won't allow me to do this. Will Slackware
>(still) allow this?

Yes I think so, but you will have to try it to be sure.

1. Full key setup for console, I don't get it anymore

In the console, the key setup seems broken: Left alt doesn't seem recognized
as meta anymore. MC, considers left ctrl as meta for tagging files (M+enter)
but I can't get M-p and M-n  to work. Bash doesn't see meta either. Just for
the record,  under XFree 3.1.2E,  everything works  fine, but that's  not so
relevant since this version does its  own keyboard handling.
I don't  really know what broke  and when as I  moved from France to  the US
(and thus I switched keymaps) and I also upgraded from 1.3.x to 2.0.10.

Delete and  Backspace don't seem  to be doing the  right thing all  the time
either (even though under vim in the  ':' line mode, delete does get treated
as delete and backspace does get treated as backspace.

Thanks for helping me out,
Marc
--
Home page: http://www.efrei.fr/~merlin/ (browser friendly)

2. Reporting software and Relational Database

3. I am not able to compile Emacs 19.25 under Linux anymore

4. 4.0.2 Installition problems

5. I am not able to run KDE anymore...

6. Linux & Windows for Workgroups???

7. 'Help, I need to repartition a full HDD from win 95'

8. Linux and SNMP

9. Help me plz. My hdd is nearly full

10. I am looking for a full-time junior unix position

11. HOWTO get full hostname with `who am i` ?

12. syslog full of kernel BUGs - why am I being ignored?

13. Install Redhat 7 on existing install with large HDD, please help