Writting hosts.equiv/hosts.lpd files

Post by Nathan Gilber » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Is there a document which states the structure for the hosts.equiv
and/or the hosts.lpd files?  It seems kind of strange that the lpd
printing system is so widely used, but the documentation is so scarce.
TNX.

Nathan %-)

1. *hosts.lpd & hosts.equiv

I am trying to get lpd to print to a printer on another linux server.

I found in the man pages that I had to put the clients name into hosts.lpd on
the server. I did this and I still get a message saying that my host does
not have access to the printer. I also tried using an IP address but this didn't
work.

I am running RedHat4.2 (kernel2.0.30) and my hosts.lpd looks like this

192.168.134.2
192.168.133.10

These are the IP addresses of the two machines that I want to have access to
the printers.

I have looked through the source code of the lpd programme and found that these
files are parsed by the '__ivaliduser' or '_validuser' functioons. Does anyone
know what format this file is supposed to be in and if my file should work,
what else should I look for. I have found nothing to this effect in any man
or faq that I have found so far.

thank you
Graham Crowe
--

2. Changes: Unix Programming FAQ (v1.21)

3. lpr; must remote host be in hosts.equiv?

4. cdrecord trouble with small cd-rw (8 centimeter)

5. lpd ignoring the hosts.lpd file ???

6. LINUX & MOTIF

7. The hosts.equiv file

8. LILO installed on both /dev/hda AND /dev/hda1?

9. A question about the "etc/hosts.equiv" file

10. Question about hosts.equiv file.

11. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

12. can't ping host or host IP from host ?

13. /etc/hosts (or NIS host map): official-host-name vs nicknames