Installing Linux on an OmniBook 600C

Post by Anders Mo » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi there!

I'm trying to install the slackware 3.0 on the HP OmniBook 600C. I would like
to use UMSDOS as the filesystem, but the slackware distribution doesn't seem
to work. I've heard that the UMSDOS root disk needs DMA-access to the floppy
disk to work properly and that for there exists a patch to solve this problem.

However, this would mean that I would have to build a new kernel and as my
only existing Linux installation has 40MB of disk space I am not sure that
can install the GCC compiler and the source code on this system and still
have space to build a kernel.

Has somebody out there overcome this problem? My OmniBook 600C has 8MB RAM and
60 megabytes of free diskspace.

Rgds.
Anders

1. Q: Linux and HP OmniBook 600c

Hi folks,
        a friend of mine thinks of buying an OmniBook 600 (-c, I
think) and would like to use LinuX with it. Have you tried it?

Especially:
* Is there support for the "pop-up-mouse"? The dealer said,
not even OS/2 could handle it...
* Is there something special about it's bus system?
* I gathered that it runs with pcmcia-harddisks only. Is that a
problem?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks, Jan.
                   =o= M-1 0 0 M-x praise-emacs =o=

2. MGR and Logitech Mouseman?

3. Updated information on HP Omnibook 600C/CT and Linux ?

4. UDP Broadcasting

5. Anyone have Linux on HP OmniBook 600C ?

6. question: ASCII symbols

7. HP omnibook 600C and Linux

8. Warning - Leading digits in domain names fail!!!

9. LINUX on HP Omnibook 600C

10. HP Omnibook 600C

11. Omnibook 600C

12. Installing Redhat Linux on Omnibook 800?

13. Did anybody install Linux on HP Omnibook 6100?