SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by CRAS » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hie there,

                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
my Linux to enable networking.

My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

                I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
the superuser root.

2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep" then
"make clean" after the first one has been completed

3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"

What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
end of the compilation which goes as follows

"Root device is (3,2)
Boot sector 512 bytes
Setup is 4336 bytes
System is 560 KB
System is too big
Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
MISSING. ( something about *.o)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.

Post by Michael Thomas Cop » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Hie there,

:                 I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
: my Linux to enable networking.

: My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

Does Slackware not support networking out of the box ?  I find that
hard to believe, but I have never used Slackware.

:                 I tried to perform the following to eable networking :

: 1.    did "make config" in the /usr/src/linux directoryafter I have su to
: the superuser root.
Good.

: 2.    After completing the configuration, proceeded to set the dependencies
: within the kernel and clean out old object modules by typing "make dep" then
: "make clean" after the first one has been completed
Good.

: 3.       Next I then compiled the kernel by typing "make zImage"
Ok.

: What bothered me is what I saw in the last few lines of the output at the
: end of the compilation which goes as follows

: "Root device is (3,2)
: Boot sector 512 bytes
: Setup is 4336 bytes
: System is 560 KB
: System is too big
: Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
: Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
: Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "
Ah.  There's your problem.  Your kernel is too big.  You should try
make bzImage
bzImage will produce a bzipped kernel which is smaller than the
cooresponding zimage.
If that doesn't work you should configure more things as modules
(start from step 1).`

: 4.         Install the 'newly compiled kernel' by typing "make
: modules_install" . The output then output was that THE FILE REQUIRED IS
: MISSING. ( something about *.o)
make modules_install
installs modules (after you have built them with make modules) it is a
good idea to do this _after_ you have rebooted with the new kernel.

Before you continue I suggest that you do the following.

Read http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/gs/gs.html (the Linux Installation
and getting started guide), in particular section 6 on networking.
You may not need to compile a new kernel at all, but simply configure
your computer to use the existing network hardware you have.

If you need more specific info, especially on modems or PPP, see the
cooresponding HOWTO's at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html#ss3.1

Finally, determine if you must compile a new kernel.
The only reason to do this is right now to support a piece of networking
hardware that you do not have supported in your current kernel.
If your ethernet card or modem shows up in the messages at startup or
if you have an external modem, everything should work without a
recompilation. The command dmesg will replay your startup messages.
If you have a Winmodem, don't bother since it will never work with Linux.

If you have determined that you must recompile the kernel, I strongly
suggest you read the kernel-HOWTO and the README file in the kernel
source directory  (Neither mentions make bzImage but all the other
advice is good).  Finally, make sure you keep a backup kernel and tell
lilo about it.  It's also never a bad idea to have a rescue disk.

: CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON. I BADLY WANT TO USE LINUX AND
: REMOVE WINDOW95 FROM MY SYSTEM.
Hang in there, the learning curve is steep, but the view is grand.

--
Michael Cope: Harvey Mudd College '00; Armand Hammer UWC '96

Post by Chris Sorenso » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> "Root device is (3,2)
> Boot sector 512 bytes
> Setup is 4336 bytes
> System is 560 KB
> System is too big
> Make [1]:***[zImage] Error 1
> Make [1]:Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot'
> Make :***[zImage] Error 2 "

The boot sector on your hard disk is refusing to let your kernel compilation
modify it. Make a boot floppy disk instead. Use "make bzdisk" instead of "make
zImage," then you can boot into Linux by issuing the command "reboot" (as root)
after the compilation is finished. You'll have Linux running on your system,
you'll be able to configure your networking, and you can worry about what's
wrong with your boot sector later...

SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

Post by CRAS » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hie there,

                I am a newbie to Linux and is having difficulty to configure
my Linux to enable networking.

My system is a 166MMX PC installed with Slackware 3.4

Only recently, I have just successfully recompiled my kernal to enable
networking. I have tested by using the ping utility. Next i moved on to
configure pppd. To my surprise, a number of confuiguration files are not
residing in the /etc/ppp directory. They are :

1. options.*
2. chap-secrets
3. pap-secrets
4. ip-up
5. ip-down

Does anyone know why these configuration files are not present in the
directory ? Without these files, is it still possible to configure pppd ???

A million thanks

1. SOS SOS SOS HELP HELP HELP SOS SOS SOS

[...]

2. Help: Linux+Win98

3. SOS SOS SOS

4. linux shared libraries often incompatible

5. Clear DTR for AcceleratedX?

6. S.O.S.- S.O.S. Problems Installing Linux from Spain

7. OK, I need help patching a kernel

8. SOS - question on accton - SOS

10. SOS xfree86 is not working SOS please HELPPP

11. HELP!! HELP!! /etc moved SOS!! SOS!!