Build a Machine as MULTI OS BOOT machine

Build a Machine as MULTI OS BOOT machine

Post by Virendra K. Agarwa » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

    I  have  a 9 GB drive which I wish to use it for 3 OS's , WIN95,WIN
NT 4.0, and Red HAT linux 4.0.

I have WIN95 in C: partition and WINNT in D: partition. Now whenever
I attempt to install Linux
I loose the boot sector and hence WINNT. Can someone point to the right
procedure to avoid all this
starting from partitionin the disk. i.e. Should I use WIN95 partitioning
or WIN NT partitioning to partition
the disk. I used WIN95 fdisk since that was the first OS I loaded.

Thanks/

--
V.K. Agarwal,
Merryl * WFC (North Tower),11th flr,NY 10080

Build a Machine as MULTI OS BOOT machine

Post by Jason Ear » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

>     I  have  a 9 GB drive which I wish to use it for 3 OS's , WIN95,WIN
> NT 4.0, and Red HAT linux 4.0.

This can certainly be done.

Quote:> I have WIN95 in C: partition and WINNT in D: partition. Now whenever
> I attempt to install Linux
> I loose the boot sector and hence WINNT. Can someone point to the right
> procedure to avoid all this
> starting from partitionin the disk. i.e. Should I use WIN95 partitioning
> or WIN NT partitioning to partition
> the disk. I used WIN95 fdisk since that was the first OS I loaded.

It sounds like you are installing lilo on the MBR.  What does your
lilo.conf look like?  It should have an entry for the NT Boot Loader
(you might have to hit <TAB> at the lilo prompt: to see what your
options are).

With a setup like you have, however, I would simply use the NT Boot
Loader to boot the different OSes.  Check out:

http://www.linuxresources.com/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

In fact there are several HOWTOs and Mini-HOWTOs that you probably
want to take a look at, so just stroll on down to:

http://www.linuxresources.com/LDP/index.html

and take a look.

Quote:> Thanks/

Good Luck
Jason Earl

1. Backing up Windows machines onto a BSD/OS machine's DAT drive

Robin -

You could try running samba on your BSD machine. On the WfW machine
you could then attach some disk locationon the BSD machine as a
network drive on the PC and then copy whatever you wanted off the PC
to the "network" drive and back that up.

That is basically what we are doing here. Except that I only let
people back up their actual documents to their Unix home directories
rather than the entire PC.  This way their stuff gets backed up
nightly with everything else.

2. 2.5.32-mm1

3. Multi-OS machine (Linux, Solaris, NT)

4. 2 ip segments on one physical segment

5. mutexes with multi-threaded program on multi-cpu machine.

6. Process vs Thread

7. Multi-Thread on Multi-CPU machine

8. Making signals reliable in Perl 4.036 on Solaris 2.x

9. Multi-booting - Installing RedHat on Win98/NT machine

10. boot hang on multi-quad machines.

11. multi-boot machine

12. Unable to boot off kernel built on different machine

13. Can I build a boot disk on another machine?