HELP! Linux wont boot. Kernal panic

Post by Darryl Ho » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Help! I've install Linux Slakware 3.0 which I obtained from a book I had
bought.
Everytime I try to boot, Linux stops and says Kernal: VFS: unable to mount
root partition. I have a Quantum 850mb hd useing a Dynamic Drive Overlay
version 7.09a
I've also tryied making boot disks but they all give me the same problem.

HELP! Linux wont boot. Kernal panic

Post by Robert Woodco » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Help! I've install Linux Slakware 3.0 which I obtained from a book I had
>bought.
>Everytime I try to boot, Linux stops and says Kernal: VFS: unable to mount
>root partition. I have a Quantum 850mb hd useing a Dynamic Drive Overlay
>version 7.09a
>I've also tryied making boot disks but they all give me the same problem.

Your problem is your Disk Mangler (woops, last time I said that Ontrack
yelled at me. :) Kernels earlier than 1.3.15 can't read disks formatted
by those programs. Fortunately, the install boot disks have kernel 1.3.18
on them. That's why things installed OK. You can use that same bootdisk
to get your system up again. Just pop it in, reboot, and at that boot:
line, type:

mount root=/dev/<your hard drive device goes here> ro

If you don't have that ro in there, everything will run ok, but your
filesystem can't be checked and the startup scripts will give you a
really mean and * looking error message. :) OTOH, if you keep the
ro, the scripts might completely mess up and fail to remount your
filesystem read-write. This is of course A Bad Thing(tm).

Eventually you'll get sick of bootdisks, so install Slackware's K
diskset, (install the 1.3.20 source, 1.2.13 won't do you any good,
or better yet make the jump to 2.0) and build yourself a custom
kernel.

Have fun and good luck.
--

Why do I run Linux? Because rebooting is for hardware upgrades.

1. HELP : Kernal Panic when rebooting with new Kernal

I went through the steps to build a new kernal.  I copied the
old kernal to a *.old file and put the new kernal in the /boot
directory.  When I rebooted with lilo I got a kernal panic.
My first idea was to use the boot disk I made when I installed RedHat
4.1 to boot the system and then put the kernal back in place.
I booted from the floppy and typed rescue at the lilo prompt, but
it just went to the installation screens.  Can I save my system
or should I reinstall?
Thanks,
Jim

2. what is 'Segmentation Fault'?

3. kernal 2.0 wont boot

4. AIX syslogs

5. RedHat 6.2 Kernal Panic on boot

6. ttyS0 : 1 input overrun(s) ?

7. Slackware boot: Kernal panic/ 2 Mbyte

8. : missing sigsetjmp from libraries?

9. Kernal panic with dual scsi boot

10. Kernal Panic on boot

11. kernal panic using bare boot