RH 6.0 Installation - Re-partitioning question

RH 6.0 Installation - Re-partitioning question

Post by Charlie Hal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



I'm trying my hand at installing Redhat 6.0, and have been pouring over
the installation guide because I'm nervous about screwing around with
(also known as re-partitioning) my system.

I currently have a single hard drive, 13+ GB and it is formatted as a
single partition (DOS).   I would certainly prefer non-destructive
partitioning, but when I performed  a defragmentation, I spotted
a group of files at the END of my hard drive.  The RH CDROM docs
seem to indicate that this is bad because the first partition can't be
cut off shorter than the last files physically on the drive.  There is a
reference in fips.doc to files named mirorsav.fil and image.idx and it is
suggested that they be deleted (apparently they are located at the
end of the drive).  A find operation shows that I don't have these files
on my system.

Questions:
1.  Is it true that I'll have to get around this re-partitioning problem
before I continue even though I will choose the workstation configuration
(and it provides a lot of automatic installation for the user)?

2.  Is there a way to determine the name of files that are located at
the end of the disk?  Defrag is the only program that I'm aware of that
relates files to location, but that program doesn't seem to provide
file names.  If I could determine what's out there, maybe I could
safely delete them until after the re-partitioning.

3.  Am I destined to do a destructive repartitioning?  I'll hate it if you
say yes.

Please help if you can.  I'm a very newbie, I've used some Unix,
but no Linux.  All I want to do is a little programming, and I'm anxious
to do it with Linux C or CPP.  My lack of knowledge in the Unix/Linux
sys admin area makes me feel fragile, and it might not take too
much to make me give it up.

Thanks very much,

Charlie

 
 
 

RH 6.0 Installation - Re-partitioning question

Post by Artur Swietanowsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> I currently have a single hard drive, 13+ GB and it is formatted as a
> single partition (DOS).   I would certainly prefer non-destructive
> partitioning, but when I performed  a defragmentation, I spotted
> a group of files at the END of my hard drive.  The RH CDROM docs
> seem to indicate that this is bad because the first partition can't be
> cut off shorter than the last files physically on the drive.  There is a
> reference in fips.doc to files named mirorsav.fil and image.idx and it is
> suggested that they be deleted (apparently they are located at the
> end of the drive).  A find operation shows that I don't have these files
> on my system.

They are usually system and/or hidden and the 'find' operation you
refer to is probably to smart (or to dumb) to show them. They should
be deletable at the DOS prompt. A program like Norton Commander will
show them, if configured to show system & hidden files.

NOTE: DOS 'dir' will not list them either, but if you just execute
  del c:\mirorsav.fil
and
  del c:\image.idx
it should work.

Quote:> 1.  Is it true that I'll have to get around this re-partitioning
> problem before I continue

Unavoidably. You need to install an operating system on a hard disk.
Thin air is not good enough. The DOS filesystem could work, but only
in distributions like hatLinux & WinLinux2000.

Quote:> 2.  Is there a way to determine the name of files that are located
> at the end of the disk?

In the days of old, Norton SpeedDisk (part of Norton utilities) had
this ability. The MS Derfag is too smart (dumb).

Quote:> If I could determine what's out there, maybe I could
> safely delete them until after the re-partitioning.

Depending on the size of your physical memory you may try disabling
Windows swap, in case it is the culprit (a very large file marked
as unmovable).

Quote:> 3.  Am I destined to do a destructive repartitioning?  I'll hate
> it if you say yes.

Without any further tools that would either remove the culprits,
or move them closer to the disk's beginning, the answer may be yes.

HTH,
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Artur Swietanowski               http://www.bigfoot.com/~swietanowski
Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629
---------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

1. partitioning (or, re-partitioning) question

Hi...
  Our sysadmin set up a blade for me but rather than name a partition
what I needed (/usr/gone), he named it something else.  I know I can't
simply mv /oldpartitionname /usr/gone -- but what can I do?  Do I have
to go and repartition it, or is there a simple way to fix this?
  Thanks a bunch.  I'm not much for sysadmin stuff -- and I don't use
the GUI tools, so I appreciate the regular command-line responses...
Thanks...
  - Judy

2. Older software on the Regatta box

3. Re-partitioning question.

4. http server

5. Quick re-partitioning Q re FIPS & Win95 partition

6. newbie:'kill -STOP $$' explanation

7. Re-partitioning disk with mounted partitions ?

8. When a pipe updated, any signal can be caught?

9. NFS Installation of RH 6.0 in a two-computer-network

10. RH 6.0 Installation problem

11. Installing RH 6.0 on preexisting partitions.

12. RH 6.0 Installation -- Tricks needed...

13. RH 6.0, primary partitions, and NT 4.0