Problems w/ setting correct resolution...help?!

Problems w/ setting correct resolution...help?!

Post by Troy Newma » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I am new to linux and recently got my unsupported video card working (with
drivers from daryll's site) and fine tuned with xf86config.  the problem is
when I start up, every thing is huge and I have tohit ctrl-alt-'+' about 3
times to adjust to where I need it.  Once I do that every thing is perfect.
How do I find out what settings those are and adjust appropriately so when I
start up they are automatically there.

any help would be appreciated... tcn.

Post by Andry William Ratsimandres » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> the problem is
> when I start up, every thing is huge and I have tohit ctrl-alt-'+'
> about 3
> times to adjust to where I need it.  Once I do that every thing is
> perfect.
> How do I find out what settings those are and adjust appropriately so
> when I
> start up they are automatically there.

You can edit manually the /etc/X11/XF86Config and comment the not needed
lines in
Section "Screen"

In there, you can find things like:
        Driver  -----
        Device  -----
        Monitor -----
        Subsection "Display"
                Modes           "640x480"
                ViewPort        0 0
                Virtual         800 600
        EndSubsection
EndSection

You will have to comment all the modes refering to lower resolution.

Regards,

Problems w/ setting correct resolution...help?!

Post by nate » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Troy,
I would go into my XF86Config file and change the order the resolutions are
listed.
You can do it manually (recommended for speed if you're not
"editor-challenged"  ;) or use the xf86config script (recommended for newbies).

It sounds like you have the resolutions going like this:

"640x480" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
...when you want something like this:
"1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

The X server tries the resolutions in the order that they are listed in this
file, and it will use the first one that will work with your card.
Make sure that you are messing with the settings for the correct server, as
there will be about 4 or 5 listed in the file.

--

Nate Campi                 |  "My statements in this message are
                           |   personal opinions which may

  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\              G N U   g e n e r a t i o n . . .

1. Need help with setting correct path for GTK 1.2.9

I installed gtk (after glib) 1.2.9, following these exact directions
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html) and get no
errors. I can type "gtk-config --version" in the shell, and that works too.
Yet when I try to compile anything requiring gtk, it returns "gtk-config
could not be found...and it fails. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

here are the env that I've set so far...

CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/gtk/include"
      LDFLAGS="-L/opt/gtk/lib"
      PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/gtk/lib/pkgconfig"
      export CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS PKG_CONFIG_PATH

2. Wrong messages from Mailer-Daemon

3. Setting correct IRQ for soundcard...help.

4. Monitor calibration again?

5. HELP Setting up Solaris 7 (email address corrected)

6. estrella - yellow dog linux ppc

7. Help! Setting up correct mail-check under bash....

8. Partitions & filesystems (HELP)

9. resolution not correct

10. Trouble Starting X with correct resolution

11. How to correct screen resolution

12. Problem setting correct time on workstations at logon

13. Help !!!! Setting Screen Resolution