HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

Post by pd.. » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:07:07

I am having a problem getting my password file to synchronize with
samba. I can input users into the main user menu but they don't sync
with samba. Then I manually input users into smbpasswd [that works
fine] but that screws up my passwd and or user file and I'm no longer
able to add new users.
Any ideas about how to fix this or what to diffrently when i
re-install
thanks

HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

Post by Michael Per » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:17:35

>I am having a problem getting my password file to synchronize with
>samba. I can input users into the main user menu but they don't sync
>with samba. Then I manually input users into smbpasswd [that works
>fine] but that screws up my passwd and or user file and I'm no longer
>able to add new users.
>Any ideas about how to fix this or what to diffrently when i
>re-install
>thanks

www.samba.org is the best place.  Here is what I do on a debian unstable
system.  I add the user the normal way.  I have already told samba that I am
using "user level" security with encrypted passwords in the
/etc/samba/smb.conf.  Debian nicely asks if I want to integrate passwords
created with the regular tools with smbpasswd and I always say yes.  I then
do a smbpasswd -a user as the root and set the user name and password.

I do this to allow a colleague printing off my little laptop and for regular
home and office use with no problems.

I always go back through the default /etc/samba/smb.conf file to see what
its doing, create new shares that I need, and give my 98 box more
permissions for file and directory mask creations.

--
Michael Perry