Ricochet modem with Linux

Post by awba.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Anybody running a Ricochet wireless modem with Linux?  I've set it up
just as their support web page
(http://www.metricom.com/support/install/Red_Hat/LinuxRedHat2.htm)
specifies (including novj), but immediately after connecting I get "LCP
terminated by peer" then "modem hangup".

Ricochet's clueless tech support said they could see the connect and
everything looked fine on their end.  The modem and account are OK (I'm
using them now on an OS/2 box).

If you are running with this setup is it different from what they
specify on the web page?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Ricochet modem with Linux

Post by <g.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I found this message in an old post. Let me
know if it works.

--Greg

Quote:> I just installed Linux-Mandrake on my ThinkPad i1412.

Installation and setup

Quote:> was a breeze. Anyway, I have a ricochet modem. I set it up
correctly (I
> think). It dials out but it won't start a PPP session. I am
using kppp. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

OK after further investigation on ricochet's website. There is a
compression that is on by default in the kppp. To turn it off,
you go to /etc/ppp/options, on a line by itself type in "-vj"
without the quotes. It worked for me so it should work for others
using a ricochet modem. The info can be found at www.ricochet.net.
Look under support, getting on the internet. Hope this helps someone.
Mike

reply to mike760 at ricochet dot net

Quote:> >Anybody running a Ricochet wireless modem with Linux?  I've set it up
> >just as their support web page
> >(http://www.metricom.com/support/install/Red_Hat/LinuxRedHat2.htm)
> >specifies (including novj), but immediately after connecting I get "LCP
> >terminated by peer" then "modem hangup".

> Basically this just means that the other side gave up trying to negotiate
> something.  To know what that something is you would have to look a few
> lines up in your logs and look for lines containing "ConfRej".

Ricochet modem with Linux

--
Ray

1. Linux + Ricochet Wireless Modem User

Hi, I hope if anyone in here using Libretto with wireless Ricochet Modem
can help me. I have some difficulties with my Libretto.
I recently reinstall LinuxOS in my libretto. Everything went well and I
can connect to internet by dialing 777**PPP, I can ping to any IP on the
net and I can ping my Libretto from remote machine indicate that my
libretto is using a valid IP. But when I try to telnet, web, ftp and
mail the libretto stop responding it keep waiting and waiting and
waiting without proper respond.
Can someone help me with this problem? or can give me any solution that
perhap can help me to solve this problem?
I was currios with this my ppp0 list:
ppp0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
        inet addr:204.179.136.60 P-t-P:204.179.136.61
Mask:255.255.255.255
----->  UP POINTTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
        RX packets: 34 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
        TX packets: 32 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carriers: 0
        collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 10
Is this the right config? POINTTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST ?
Because I dont have any other machine running ppp so I don't know.
I really appreciate if someone can help me.
Thank you very much.

2. Java vs FreeBSD

3. Ricochet wireless modem connection problems

4. Sol 2.3 to Sol 2.3 5/94 UPGRADE ?

5. ricochet wireless modem w/rehat 5.0?

6. anyone with a znote on ethernet?

7. Ricochet wireless modem setup

8. Where can I buy Interactive Unix 4.1 ????

9. Ricochet modem?

10. How to setup Ricochet Modem?

11. help needed: freeBSD/ppp/ricochet wireless modem

12. Ricochet modem

13. Ricochet modems with FreeBSD