popclient loses mail

Post by Marshall Gigue » Fri, 22 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Help;

I'm using popclient to retreive my mail from my ISP.  Popclient goes
thru all the motions but the mail vanishes.  It's not in my
/var/spool/ dir, it's not in any local mail file that I can see.  It
just seems to have disappeared.  According to the man page the mail
supposed to go to the /var/spool/meg mail file via the local mail
agent which is kicked off by popclient (see below).

Any help or enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

-Marsh

~> popclient -3 -v ****.********.***
Enter mailserver password:
+OK QUALCOMM Pop server derived from UCB (version 2.1.4-R3+jon) at
 *****.********.*** starting.

Quote:> USER meg

+OK Password required for meg.
Quote:> PASS password

+OK meg has 1 message(s) (23936 octets).
Quote:> STAT
+OK 1 23936
> RETR 1

+OK 23936 octets
user = meg, homedir = /home/meg
(396 lines of message content)
Quote:> DELE 1

+OK Message 1 has been deleted.
Sendmail arguments: "send-mail" "-i" "meg"
Quote:> QUIT

+OK Pop server at *****.********.*** signing off.

1. popclient loses mail

I'm running Linux 1.2.8 (or sometimes .13) and a SLIP/SLIRP connection to a
real Internet site. Now to try to get my mail onto my Linux host ("binkle"
to make it clear) I try to use popclient -3 to the other Linux host
("hamgate") which is on the Internet. Now I have a couple of problems with
this: first of all, when I do this as a normal user I'm told that the
Operation is not permitted. When I do this as root I don't get any error
messages, but the mail isn't on binkle in root's mailbox, and it is no
longer on hamgate. In other words: the mail is lost.

--
                        http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~ac_march/addr.html

 |.........|      |Attempting |
 |: DON'T :|      |recovery...|             Angus March
 |: PANIC :|      |1067 pages |         The Ultra-Mind Dragon
 |:.......:|      |unrecovered|             -==(UDIC)==-
 |---------|___ __|___________|__
/___________\  |_________________| Murphy ain't seen nothing yet

2. "server-side includes" versus cgi- what am i missing?

3. HELP - lost mail - popclient!

4. FreeBSD System Requirements?

5. mail format problems on rcvd mail from popclient

6. How do I set the color in emacs (SVGA-mode)

7. Losing internal mail when the Internet is lost

8. Joystick module problems..

9. Popclient adds extra lines to my mail file

10. Help! Popclient has eaten my mail

11. POP Mail Popclient problems

12. Help: popclient to Novell mail server wont work.

13. popclient not getting mail properly