Low memory RedHat install, how?

Post by Geoff Reynol » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 I have the April InfoMagic Linux CD, the slackware 3.0 distribution
installs fine but I'd like to have a look at the RedHat one. Problem
is I don't seem to have enough memory (5 meg) to load the install
ramdisk.
 I have tried install from both CD and floppy as per README's.

 Is there any way to enable swap before the install like you can with
slackware?

    - Geoff

--

The BBS Works -- +64 9 625 2851 NZL New Zealand's Oldest BBS !

Post by Dale Web » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: installs fine but I'd like to have a look at the RedHat one. Problem
: is I don't seem to have enough memory (5 meg) to load the install
: ramdisk.

        I have only 4 Meg RAM in my system at present.  Slackware 3.0 is
the only Linux distribution I can get installed here.  I have tried
installing RedHat 3.0.3 from a hard drive partition (ftped and downloaded
to my system).

:  Is there any way to enable swap before the install like you can with
: slackware?

        If there is, I haven't found it yet.

--
Dale Weber - Making technology work for YOU using Windows, OS/2, and UNIX
WWW: http://www.europa.com/~dalew/             <===== Resume' now online!

1. RedHat 5.2 install hangs on low memory (8MB) PC

We tried to install RedHat 5.2 on a i486 with 8MB ram. The installation
hangs after SCSI recognition. The floppy never stops working. We can
hear the head move and move and move ...

On a Pentium Pro PC with more ram everthing works fine. But if we reduce
the amount of ram with a kernel option "mem=8M" the same behaviour
occurs.

Any hints?

Oliver

--
     \\|//      Tel. +49-89-289-164-32
     (o o)      FAX  +49-89-289-164-10

+-------------+ http://www.itm.tum.de/~kaiser

2. Serious writers wanted for newsletter articals...

3. Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

4. Problem video card Sis6215 in REDHAT 7.0

5. Installing w/low memory? (Red Hat)

6. ATI 3D Rage Pro LT

7. Low Memory Problem Installing Linux

8. how to find the type of Graphics card/accelerator on the E4000 box

9. Need help installing slackware w/ low memory

10. Low Memory Slackware Install

11. Low memory Red Hat install, how? -- InfoMagic broken

12. Low memory install problem

13. Problems with low memory install