/dev/hdb problems with Slackware 96

Post by Larry Weav » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have been successfully running the Walnut Creek Toolkit for Linux
(kernel 1.0.9) for a couple of years on my 486 with 2 IDE hard disks
and a SCSI cdrom. I have a dos partition on /dev/hda and 4 linux
partitions on /dev/hdb.
I tried to upgrade with the Walnut creek Slackware 96 system, and
none of the supplied kernels for the bootdisk will access /dev/hdb
successfully. They all put out a string of messages with
Status DriveREady SeekComplete IndexError, retry 3 times and give up.

I am still able to run my old Linux system, which has no trouble reading
/dev/hdb. Has anybody else encountered this. Is there a workaround?
I gather it must be a change in the IDE driver - I guess if all else
fails, I can try debugging that (GROAAANN!!!).

        Any help would be sincerely appreciated!
                larry

/dev/hdb problems with Slackware 96

Post by Catud » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been successfully running the Walnut Creek Toolkit for Linux
>(kernel 1.0.9) for a couple of years on my 486 with 2 IDE hard disks
>and a SCSI cdrom. I have a dos partition on /dev/hda and 4 linux
>partitions on /dev/hdb.
>I tried to upgrade with the Walnut creek Slackware 96 system, and
>none of the supplied kernels for the bootdisk will access /dev/hdb
>successfully. They all put out a string of messages with
>Status DriveREady SeekComplete IndexError, retry 3 times and give up.

>I am still able to run my old Linux system, which has no trouble reading
>/dev/hdb. Has anybody else encountered this. Is there a workaround?
>I gather it must be a change in the IDE driver - I guess if all else
>fails, I can try debugging that (GROAAANN!!!).

>    Any help would be sincerely appreciated!
>            larry

I can boot linux with no problem on the second drive.

My PC is a dell precision 486DX/33 with 8 meg of RAM and an IDE (not EIDE) controller

first drive is a 1.2GB from Western Digital
partitions are almost equal except for last which is a little smaller (219MB)
OS/2 boot manager
C:      FAT == dos 6.2 boot
E:      HPFS == Warp 3.0
F:      HPFS == Warp 4.0
G: and H: HPFS

and second drive is a 245MB from Maxtor

divided in 3 partitions
D:  HPFS == 10MB
    Linux native(220MB) and Linux swap (10MB)

I run the 1.2.24 version.
I was surprised of the difference in speed between DOOM for dos and DOOM for
Linux. Under Linux it compares well with the 686 +150 with dos of my friend.
On the other hand I can't use it because my sound card (8 bit SB non pro) won't
work with it. I've tried all of the patch I could find on the net, none work. There
was one that would patch the kernel but it wasn't successfull in patching it, I
guess too many changes have been made since it was written.

I have a question for our UNIX experts, how do you get rid of all multiuser *
on Linux and force this to a single user environment? or is it possible?
I want Linux because it is fast, I don't need any of that shitty protection stuff.
I don't live on a college campus, anybody who's going to mess up with my
computer is going to have to break in the house anyway, so protection has no
use to me for this. It is just a pain in the ass. For instance under X file manager I
can't access anything but root which is ridiculous. I don't see anything in the Linux
Bible telling me how to get out of that trap.
What's the secret on getting Linux to accept to dial and connect on the internet.
I tried chat and it won't even attempt to reach the serial line.
Does a decent Internet dialer exist on Linux like it does on OS/2 or Windoze?

Michel Catudal     Team OS/2 USA member

http://www.veryComputer.com/~bbcat/
http://www.veryComputer.com/~bbcat/Derangement.html
http://www.veryComputer.com/~bbcat/tata/tata.html

Laissez les bons temps rouler.
We Voted for Liberty and reelected our president Bill Clinton

1. unable to read /dev/hdb installing problem Linux slackware 2.01

Resently i did buy the book " Het Linux handboek " together with 2 cd-roms.

I did try to install Linux Slackware 2.01.

I have a IBM Aptiva model 931 (SL-H) with 16 mb ram and 1 gb harddisk.

On the harddisk i have installed DOS, Window 3.1 and OS/2 on one big parition.
I have not installed OS2 bootmanager.

To install Linux i did buy a second harddisk also 1 gb large.
With teh dos fdisk i did create 3 partitions for linux on the second harddisk.

To install Linux I created:
 - bootdisk (mitsumi file on it)
 - rootdisk (color144 on it)

After booting i did type: ramdisk hd=2100,16,63
One of the messages was: 0x300,10: init failed. No mcd device at 0x300
irq 10.

Then i did login as root.
The next thing to do was using Linux fdisk to change the "id code" of the
partions.

fdisk /dev/hdb does not work.
I get the message "unable to read /dev/hdb".

Can somebody please help me?

2. uucico: unrecognized option `-L'

3. Slackware 96 over Slackware 3.x

4. CM - No Insert Access

5. Slackware doesn't find hdb, need to install on hdb partition

6. Kickstart Roms for Amiga Emulator

7. Compilation problems in Slackware 96 Kernel

8. gcc/gdb on OS5

9. Slackware 96 Log Problem

10. Kernel compile problems with Slackware '96 and loadlin

11. Slackware 12/96 boot problem

12. Problems with 3c509B and PCI, Slackware'96 (3.1.0)

13. Slackware 96 gethostbyname() problem.