How to setup print for router with peint server

How to setup print for router with peint server

Post by Yuri Shti » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 04:34:21

Hi,

I just added a RH7.2 box to my home office. I have a US Robotics router
USR8000 with the print server. The software that came with the router
provides easy printer access from the Windows machines. I want to be
able to print from the Linux box as well. I configured foomatics/lprng
etc so that I can print to the printer when it is attached directly to
the LINUX box. My question is: how to configure the print system so that
  I can print through the router ?

My printer is Samsung ML-7050.

Yuri.

Post by Yuan Li » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 07:25:24

> Hi,

> I just added a RH7.2 box to my home office. I have a US Robotics router
> USR8000 with the print server. The software that came with the router
> provides easy printer access from the Windows machines. I want to be
> able to print from the Linux box as well. I configured foomatics/lprng
> etc so that I can print to the printer when it is attached directly to
> the LINUX box. My question is: how to configure the print system so that
>  I can print through the router ?

I'm using an SMC broadband router w print server.  I guessed that it
used lpd for printing so I simply pointed my output to use lpd, queue
name lp (the default printer name under Unix).  It works.

Further, now that I'm using WinXP, I can s*the cumbersome
proprietary software that comes with the router, and just ask WinXP to
use lpd network printing to lp queue.  Voila! (Somehow I have to use
byte count under Windows.)  lpd is not an option in previous Windows,
unfortunately.

Happy printing.

Yuan Liu

Quote:> My printer is Samsung ML-7050.

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 07:49:48

> > Hi,

> > I just added a RH7.2 box to my home office. I have a US Robotics router
> > USR8000 with the print server. The software that came with the router
> > provides easy printer access from the Windows machines. I want to be
> > able to print from the Linux box as well. I configured foomatics/lprng
> > etc so that I can print to the printer when it is attached directly to
> > the LINUX box. My question is: how to configure the print system so that
> >  I can print through the router ?

> I'm using an SMC broadband router w print server.  I guessed that it
> used lpd for printing so I simply pointed my output to use lpd, queue
> name lp (the default printer name under Unix).  It works.

> Further, now that I'm using WinXP, I can s*the cumbersome
> proprietary software that comes with the router, and just ask WinXP to
> use lpd network printing to lp queue.  Voila! (Somehow I have to use
> byte count under Windows.)  lpd is not an option in previous Windows,
> unfortunately.

It's a freeware add-on for previous versions of NT.

How to setup print for router with peint server

Post by Yuri Shti » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:45:53

Could you send the appropriate printcap entries ?

My system behaves insanely !!!

printconfig wipes out printcap and cannot start lpd, even though it
claims it did. I created a printcap entry for my printer using foomatic,
but I don't know how to convert it to use with a UNIX server.

Post by Yuan Li » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:13:05

> Could you send the appropriate printcap entries ?

Try this, generated automatically under RH7.3 - I assume you are not
using this distribution or you may want to try CUPS, which is what I
use; generated this only to obtain this sample.

# /etc/printcap
#
# DO NOT EDIT! MANUAL CHANGES WILL BE LOST!
# This file is autogenerated by printconf-backend during lpd init.
#
# Hand edited changes can be put in /etc/printcap.local, and will be
included.

lj6l:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj6l:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lj6l/lj6l.acct:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=smc:\
        :rp=lp:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:
# end of entry

I'm used to edit printcap manually, so a barebone printcap for this
purpose would be:

lj6l|lp:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj6l:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=smc:\
        :rp=lp:\

Of interest to you is the rm and rp directives: I gave my router a name
smc (you can set a name in /etc/hosts, if not in DNS), and the remote
printer name is lp - this must be true for most device printer servers.
(HP uses "raw" by default but you can change it.)  For sanity, you may
want to set rm to IP address just to make sure.  Other than that, you
need to have some entries properly entered under sd (/var/spool/lpd/lj6l
in my case).

Quote:> My system behaves insanely !!!

> printconfig wipes out printcap and cannot start lpd, even though it
> claims it did. I created a printcap entry for my printer using foomatic,
> but I don't know how to convert it to use with a UNIX server.

Remove lp directive, add rm and rp directives and you should be all set.
   If you use the sample above, be sure to change sd directive to
reflect your settings. (Forget if, af directives to simplify your
initial settings.)  Read printcap man page helps a lot.

Good luck.

Yuan Liu

[snip]

Quote:>> I'm using an SMC broadband router w print server.  I guessed that it