adding a hot spare to a RAID5 device...

Post by Jason Herrin » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:06:09

Hi,
Has anyone been able to add a hot spare to a RAID5 device (eg /dev/md0)
without
having to rebuild the entire device?  It seems that this should NOT
force a
rebuild of the entire RAID5 volume, as the hot spare will initially not
really
be used... I'd just like to be able to add it without having to rebuild
the
whole array, necesitating a backup of the data, then a restore...
Thanks!
Jason

adding a hot spare to a RAID5 device...

Post by The Dr » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:16:25

Well, what type of RAID hardware are you using?
Is your RAID hardware or software controlled?
What did the documentation say?

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:06:09 -0700, Jason Herring

>Hi,
>Has anyone been able to add a hot spare to a RAID5 device (eg /dev/md0)
>without
>having to rebuild the entire device?  It seems that this should NOT
>force a
>rebuild of the entire RAID5 volume, as the hot spare will initially not
>really
>be used... I'd just like to be able to add it without having to rebuild
>the
>whole array, necesitating a backup of the data, then a restore...
>Thanks!
>Jason

1. Can hot spare be added after metadevices were created ?

I could not find the command to do that , in any version of disksuite,
from SUN's document .

Looks like if you did not create the metadevice with hot spare , you
can not add one later .

Does anyone has a way to do so ?

Regards
William

2. Newbie Q!

3. Adding a hot spare to an SSA Raid array

4. Solaris 8 and nVidia Vanta-16 AGP Card

5. tg3 crash during RAID5 hot-add (2.4.20 and 2.4.21-rc3)

6. Display trouble

7. Disksuite - Removing a Hot spare

8. RAID recommendations

9. DiskSuite + Hot Spare

10. Veritas Mirroring (Hot Spare Problems)

11. Hot spare when both submirrors fails (DiskSuite 4.2)?

12. hot spare system

13. VRTS Hot relocation/sparing.