startx

Post by P& » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does anybody know how to keep the system from going into xwindows
on startup?  I would like to go into x later with startx, as I have
seen done on another system.

Jim Trek

startx

Post by Alex R.M. Turne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Please look back..  I have seen this question answered 3 times in the last
48 hours.

change the line id:5 in /etc/inittab to id:3

please consider at least trying www.deja.com first in future.

MM

> Does anybody know how to keep the system from going into xwindows
> on startup?  I would like to go into x later with startx, as I have
> seen done on another system.

> Jim Trek

startx

Post by Richard Horto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Depends alot on your system but inside one of the runlevels (probably
runlevel 3) (somewhere in /etc/init.rd/rc.3 for example- most
distributions vary) is a comamnd to start xdm.

Try some of the system configuration tools (without knowing your
distribution i cant be more specific) and see if xdm can be disabled.

--
---
"All opinions (when I have one) are the product of my own brain-

Richard Horton, Graduate Software Engineer, EASAMS Engineering Systems
Ltd.

Phone: +44 (0) 181 624 6316   Fax  : +44 (0) 181 623 6362

startx

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Does anybody know how to keep the system from going into xwindows
>on startup?  I would like to go into x later with startx, as I have
>seen done on another system.

Edit the /etc/inittab and change the default runlevel.
As you did not state what version of Linux you use,
this is the best I can do.

--
"Just Say No."   - Nancy Reagan

"No."            - Ronald Reagan

startx

Post by W.G. Unr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Does anybody know how to keep the system from going into xwindows
>on startup?  I would like to go into x later with startx, as I have
>seen done on another system.

As root, edit /etc/inittab and change the line
id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:
(runlevel 5 is the X, while 3 is the command line)

startx

Post by Janez Kre » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Does anybody know how to keep the system from going into xwindows
> on startup?  I would like to go into x later with startx, as I have
> seen done on another system.

Uninstall xdm package. Or maybe for test, just move the startup file
(xdm) from /etc/rc.d (for SuSE).

--
Lep pozdrav,

Janez

startx

Post by P& » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I should have mentioned that it is Debian Linux and that
my initdefault is 2 (id:2)

Jim Trek

Post by shaundur.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Does anybody know how to keep the system from going into xwindows
> > on startup?  I would like to go into x later with startx, as I have
> > seen done on another system.

> Uninstall xdm package. Or maybe for test, just move the startup file
> (xdm) from /etc/rc.d (for SuSE).

> > Jim Trek

> --
> Lep pozdrav,

> Janez

The best way is to change the runlevel in /etc/inittab

find

id:5:initdefault:

5 is the run level, change it to 3 to stop X logins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/