How to boot and run Linux on a DISKLESS system ?

How to boot and run Linux on a DISKLESS system ?

Post by Claude Cade » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi all Linux wizards

I need to make a embedded linux system for running in very rough
environment with
high vibrations. This system would have the following features :
- Intel CPU card with a lot of RAM;
- no keyboard;
- no hard disk;
- no floppy;
- no video screen
- one ethernet card;
- several serial ports;

Is it possible to boot a minimal Linux system on a Intel-PC board card ?
 - without any hard disk : diskless station;
 - without any floppy or external disk;

Which solution i have ?

Is it possible to freeze the kernel and a minimal system in a PROM or
EEPROM
and boot with it automatically at power on ?

Once booted, is it possible to mount a RAM file system (#128Mb) in order
drive an ethernet card and run applications like : TCP/IP networking,
sendmail, SNMP tools, FTP, rlogin

If it's impossible, my last resort is using a PCMCIA card. How to use it
to boot and  run linux ?

Thanks for all your helpful advises.

Claude Cadet

Post by pe.. » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Is it possible to boot a minimal Linux system on a Intel-PC board card ?
>  - without any hard disk : diskless station;
>  - without any floppy or external disk;
> Which solution i have ?
> Is it possible to freeze the kernel and a minimal system in a PROM or
> EEPROM and boot with it automatically at power on ?

Should be possible, but, it seems rather sensible to just have the bootstrap
loader in an boot EPROM and get the kernel etc. from a server. Consult the
Diskless HOWTO (/usr/doc/howto/mini/Diskless.gz on my machine).

   Peter

   Throughout  this  HOWTO, a  manual  entry  is simply referred to as a
   man page, regardless of actual length and without  sexist  intention.
                                              [The Linux Man-Page-Howto]

How to boot and run Linux on a DISKLESS system ?

Post by Claude Cade » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Thank's for the idea but i need to boot this Linux box WITHOUT any help from any
host computer on the network like bootp, ethherboot, tftpd... ! The Linux
diskless box must boot and run standalone.

> > Is it possible to boot a minimal Linux system on a Intel-PC board card ?
> >  - without any hard disk : diskless station;
> >  - without any floppy or external disk;
> > Which solution i have ?
> > Is it possible to freeze the kernel and a minimal system in a PROM or
> > EEPROM and boot with it automatically at power on ?

> Should be possible, but, it seems rather sensible to just have the bootstrap
> loader in an boot EPROM and get the kernel etc. from a server. Consult the
> Diskless HOWTO (/usr/doc/howto/mini/Diskless.gz on my machine).

>    Peter
> --
>    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

>    Throughout  this  HOWTO, a  manual  entry  is simply referred to as a
>    man page, regardless of actual length and without  sexist  intention.
>                                               [The Linux Man-Page-Howto]

How to boot and run Linux on a DISKLESS system ?

Post by John Smit » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

This should be doable just copy a compiled kernel into an EPROM, however
only the kernel services will be availible in such an enviroment.  For some
kind of automated application this should be fine, but if you are looking
for a fuller system you may be seriously constrited.  I know there are some
DOS based EPROM generic systems for the development of special use diskless
systems out there, perhaps one of these would be better suited for your
purposes.  What exactly are you trying to do?

>Thank's for the idea but i need to boot this Linux box WITHOUT any help
from any
>host computer on the network like bootp, ethherboot, tftpd... ! The Linux
>diskless box must boot and run standalone.

>> > Is it possible to boot a minimal Linux system on a Intel-PC board card
?
>> >  - without any hard disk : diskless station;
>> >  - without any floppy or external disk;
>> > Which solution i have ?
>> > Is it possible to freeze the kernel and a minimal system in a PROM or
>> > EEPROM and boot with it automatically at power on ?

>> Should be possible, but, it seems rather sensible to just have the
bootstrap
>> loader in an boot EPROM and get the kernel etc. from a server. Consult
the
>> Diskless HOWTO (/usr/doc/howto/mini/Diskless.gz on my machine).

>>    Peter
>> --
>>    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

>>    Throughout  this  HOWTO, a  manual  entry  is simply referred to as a
>>    man page, regardless of actual length and without  sexist  intention.
>>                                               [The Linux Man-Page-Howto]

1. [Fwd: How to boot and run Linux on a DISKLESS system ?]

Claude Cadet

[ Attached Message ]

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 01:14:26 +0100
Subject: How to boot and run Linux on a DISKLESS system ?
[...]

2. UNIX SYS ADMIN /SECURITY ADMIN POSITION IN FL

3. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

4. What can a Solaris consultant expect to make?

5. Diskless Linux X-Terminal (Was: Re: Diskless Linux machines)

6. News Bits

7. Info On NIC Boot Proms For Diskless Systems

8. Need Advice on Setting Up Home-Business WWW Server.

9. How do I reinstall Linux to a new file system from a running Linux system?

10. Diskless or nearly diskless Linux?

11. NFS io errors on transfer from system running 2.4 to system running 2.5

12. Remote Boot / Diskless Boot

13. Running Linux from a CD (diskless workstation)