Startup module errors...

Post by Anthony Schlemme » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all...
> I'm getting several error messages regarding modules when I boot up my
> linux system, and I've been unable to figure out why or how to fix them.
> The exact error messages are as follows :
> Oct  4 03:47:40 modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10
> Updating module dependencies for Linux 2.0.30:
> Can't locate module lp
> Can't locate module slip
> Can't locate module ppp
> Starting PCMCIA services:
> PCMCIA module directory /lib/modules/2.0.30/pcmcia not found.
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> Going multiuser...
> Starting kerneld, version 2.0.0 (pid 53)
> Oct  4 10:47:42 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Oct  4 10:47:42 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
> Mounting remote file systems...
> Starting daemons: syslogd klogd portmap inetd lpd mountd nfsd
> Starting sendmail daemon (/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q15m)...
> Cannot open /lib/modules/misc/iBCS.o
> Running gpm...
> I guess it starts off with the modprobe being unable to locate
> char-major-10, and from there is unable to locate the lp, ppp, slip and
> various other modules.  I don't know why it would be looking for a slip
> or pcmcia module as I haven't enabled them when I recompiled the kernel,
> and I compiled ppp directly into the kernel, not as a module.  I talked
> to someone who suggested deleting the contents of the /lib/modules/2.0.30
> directory which I did, it did get rid of some error messages regarding
> "module symbols not match my linux 2.0.30" (I think that's it or
> something similar too".  I've done a "make module", "make
> modules_install" but it doesn't install any of the above modules.  Any
> help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks in advance....

You original kernel may have installed those drivers as modules. Have you
looked at your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file to see if it is trying to load those
missing modules?  You rc.modules file could be out of sync with your kernel
since If you've built those drivers into the kernel and now the are no longer
compiled as modules.

Anthony

--
Anthony Schlemmer

Startup module errors...

Post by Nikolai Mne » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all...

> I'm getting several error messages regarding modules when I boot up my
> linux system, and I've been unable to figure out why or how to fix them.
> The exact error messages are as follows :

> Oct  4 03:47:40 modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10
> Updating module dependencies for Linux 2.0.30:
> Can't locate module lp
> Can't locate module slip
> Can't locate module ppp
> Oct  4 10:47:42 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Oct  4 10:47:42 modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
> Cannot open /lib/modules/misc/iBCS.o
> Running gpm...

  Messages about dummi moduls may dissapear
if you add lines in

/etc/conf.modules

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

etc.,
if actually  you have not  module net-pf-4 ................. etc.

Best regards
N.Mnev

1. Help:Start-up Module Error Message

Hi People, How r u?

        I am having Linux OS with kernel version 2.0.35 which I just
upgraded recently from kernel 1.3.20. Everything seemed to be upgraded
successfully, but when i start to Linux OS. there was a series of
error message that bothered  me. The message is as follow:
        Check on the CD .....modprobe:. can't locate module block
major-11
                                               modprobe:can't locate
module block major-23
      .
      .
      .
so on and so on.
CD is found on /dev/hdd

I can't figure why these message is there. I know it has something to
do with module for cdrom because this execution happens in rc.cdrom
file.

anyone has any idea of what is going on or how to fix it. please let
me know.

Thank you very much.

Jack

2. Pls tell why 'date' behaves wrongly?

3. Couldn't Push Module 'dmfe0' error on startup

4. Increasing RAID disk size w/ existing EXT2 file system

5. Help:Start-up Module Error Message

6. how to hang up ppp

7. Module errors on startup

8. alert me when ip-up finishes, in a loud way, visually

9. Netscape suitespot: error number 11, unknown early startup error

10. Apache 1.3.24 startup error on Solaris 8 _floatdisf error

11. Fvwm2 Startup error, mouse error and Linux partition extending?

12. Install error: failed to read /modules/module-info