Null-modem link, Linux - Amiga

Post by Richard Knechte » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> (For readers of no.linux: Dette innlegget er p? engelsk fordi det er
> krysspostet til et par internasjonale nyhetsgrupper.)

> I want to enable another person using an Amiga to log in to my Linux
> box via a null-modem cable connecting the machines' serial ports.
> What's the easiest way of setting this up? pppd?

> Any hints, tips or pointers would be helpful. Name some programs or
> files and I'll start skimming through the documentation...

> ---
> I only have 6 days experience with Linux so far, and having read god
> knows how many man/info pages, HOWTOs and guides the concepts are a
> bit jumpled up. Please excuse any ignorant, silly or plain stupid
> questions. :)

> System info:
> Red Hat 5.1/Intel w/standard kernel: 2.0.34-0.6
> CPU: Cyrix 6x686 RAM: 32 MB
> Dual-boot with Win95, using LILO on the MBR.
> Ext2 filesystem on one 1 GB partition, 64 MB swap partition.

> Remi :)
> ---
> If you reply by email, please remove the wicked bit from my address.
> It's inconvenient, but it keeps my mailbox free from spam.

The way to do it is get the Amiga with linux or the Amiga Unix on it and
they could talk direct. Or failing that you should be able to hook up
the null modem cable/box and use an Amiga term program like "Term" or
Termite or one that does VT 100 emulation. VT 100 or VT 220 should be
compatable enough for linux to talk to it. OR see if there is a Samba
port for the AMiga. DOn't know if there is, haven't tried hooking my
amiga up to my linux box "YET". Just got it set back up.

--

Richard Knechtel
email(richard dot knechtel at eds dot com)

       The contents of this message express only MY opinion.
       my employer, Centrobe.  All responsibility for the statements
       made in this posting resides solely and completely with the
       ME.
       I Ex-Spaminate spammers!
       See US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C)
       and Sec.227(b)(3)(C).

Null-modem link, Linux - Amiga

Post by Kristian Ellingse » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

* Remi

| I want to enable another person using an Amiga to log in to my Linux
| box via a null-modem cable connecting the machines' serial ports.
| What's the easiest way of setting this up? pppd?

In /etc/inittab add:
S1:1:respawn:/etc/getty 9600 ttyS0 (first COM port)

In /etc/gettydefs add:
DT9600# B9600 CS8 CLOCAL # B9600 SANE -ISTRIP CLOCAL # login: #DT9600

Do a 'init q' (and maybe reboot - or run 'getty -c gettydefs') and you should
be set.
KRISTIAN ELLINGSEN     http://ellingsen.home.ml.org/

----You can rent this space for only $5 a week.-----

Null-modem link, Linux - Amiga

Post by Kristian Ellingse » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

* Remi

| Thanks again.
|
| Remi :)

Always a pleasure.

Post by Joanne Do » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> (For readers of no.linux: Dette innlegget er p? engelsk fordi det er
> krysspostet til et par internasjonale nyhetsgrupper.)

> I want to enable another person using an Amiga to log in to my Linux
> box via a null-modem cable connecting the machines' serial ports.
> What's the easiest way of setting this up? pppd?

> Any hints, tips or pointers would be helpful. Name some programs or
> files and I'll start skimming through the documentation...

> ---
> I only have 6 days experience with Linux so far, and having read god
> knows how many man/info pages, HOWTOs and guides the concepts are a
> bit jumpled up. Please excuse any ignorant, silly or plain stupid
> questions. :)

Remi, I am running 5.0 with all the updates installed. As it turns out it is
quite
easy to maintain Amigas via PPP or Ethernet on a Linux server. For starters
you need to contact Holger Kruse and get a copy of Miami. (If you have a
complex network on that Amiga then whuffo you wanna do PPP to it? {^_-})
Once you have that I can help you in private email fairly easily, I believe.
(I
use the Interworks TCP/IP stack along with Holger's PPP device driver. But
then I have the kind of complex network that needs that sort of thing.)

(I performed some hacks to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp
scripts to cater to the particular demands of such usage. I can easily
enough
pass them along to you.)

1. Linking linux boxes via null-modem cable

I would like to connect two linux boxes together via a null-modem
cable.  I'm trying to run agetty on one machine (helium) and minicom
on the other (dialup).  The problem is that I can login to helium from
dialup when helium has been booted, but after I exit minicom and go
back into it I don't get any response from helium.  In /etc/inittab
I'm using /sbin/agetty -L ttyS3 38400.  The -L is to ignore the
carrier detect status.

I've also tried using kermit on dialup to access helium after minicom
has been exited and the same thing happens.

I'm not sure whether the problem is with agetty on helium or
minicom/kermit on dialup.  Would be grateful for any help.

regards
Pat Cain

2. -exec vs. xargs

3. Linking two LANs over null-modem cable...

4. top output - making meening of mem

5. Installing over PLIP or null-modem link?

6. Sound File Formats

7. Linux/Win95 to Linux Box Via Null-Modem, then to Internet

8. Shadow Password install error

9. PPP problems w. null modem link & Linux

10. serial link - null modem - Linux <-> WIN95

11. PPP problems w. null modem link & Linux

12. Need help setting up null modem CSLIP link from Mac to Linux box...

13. Null modem serial PPP link Linux <-> Win95