1st Step

Post by Richar » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 05:04:59

All,

The install of Linux went really easily, now Linux Mandrake 7.1 is on my
"other" PC.

I would like it to be a server for all the "Win***" PC's to back data up to,
and connect to the internet etc.

The screen I am looking at now wants me to type something, but whatever I
type I get
bash: "whatever": command not found.

Imagine I am from outer space and have just sat in front of this screen,
what can I do next?

Many thanks to all who respond, to this apologies if the answer is already
in these pages I just do not have a clue where or how to start looking.

Richard (I have seen the light and it is Linux!)

1st Step

Post by davide_sp.. » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 05:51:26

> Imagine I am from outer space and have just sat in front of this screen,
> what can I do next?

If your linux machine is also connected with the 'net, you can type
lynx http://www.linuxdoc.org
and have a look at the from-windows-to-linux-howto for a gentle
introduction to the matter.

Davide

1st Step

Post by Henrique Lope » Wed, 08 May 2002 08:32:01

try looking for a card that is more compatible with the system, I had a
kingston but could never get it working then I pulled my old NETGEAR
FA311 and as soon as I plugled it in my cable conection was up, without
any settings needed
> All,

> The install of Linux went really easily, now Linux Mandrake 7.1 is on my
> "other" PC.

> I would like it to be a server for all the "Win***" PC's to back data up
> to, and connect to the internet etc.

> The screen I am looking at now wants me to type something, but whatever
> I type I get
> bash: "whatever": command not found.

> Imagine I am from outer space and have just sat in front of this screen,
> what can I do next?

> Many thanks to all who respond, to this apologies if the answer is
> already in these pages I just do not have a clue where or how to start
> looking.

> Richard (I have seen the light and it is Linux!)

1. D-Link530, "make" 1st step??

New to Linux. Not to computers.
Have installed 5.2RH and then just updated
to 6.0. All went well, but I have yet to get
the D-LINK 530TX to be functional.
I HAVE the 'via-rhine.c' driver. BUT NOT sure
exactly how to 'compile it' (I have two Linux
books, the one that came with 5.2 and one by
Barkati -Linux Secrets [still a secret to me])

I wasn't able to use either to get anywhere with this
problem so I found the via-rhine.c driver and site
and read the instructions.

1. When I read that perhaps I should compile a device
   driver module, I kinda "THINK" that the via is already???

2. When I try to test it, it's in /stuff right now, using
   INSMOD VIA-RHINE.C  it indicates it is not an ELF file??

I haven't figured out where to go from that error???
Also, attempting to use the "MAKE" command results in
'command not found'... for instance 'make include/linux/version.h'

MY  */usr/src/linux*   is actually  /usr/src/linux-2.2.5
that is wierd...  well, thanks.
--
Rich "Doc" Colley
      CNE4

2. Odd TCP/IP socket 'drops' characters

3. 1st Installation step and DD program

4. slackware linux on PS2

5. Installation step by step for dumbys :)

6. fresh spin on the Microsoft, SCO license -- SYS-CON.com

7. one step forward, two steps back

8. IBM 7206 DAT drive

9. Securing Solaris (HELP ME)Step by Step?????????

10. Step by Step Documentation??

11. Step-by-step instructions to set up 2 computer home network?

12. one step forward, two steps back..

13. Perl Debugger/step by step code Interpreter