Confirgure Suse 8.1 with Router/Cable Modem

Confirgure Suse 8.1 with Router/Cable Modem

Post by St. Michael » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:56:21

I'm trying to configure Suse 8.1/KDE/YaSt to Internet via DLink Router
getting internet via Cable Modem.

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:54:11

> I'm trying to configure Suse 8.1/KDE/YaSt to Internet via DLink Router
> getting internet via Cable Modem.

It should be simple assuming that your Dlink is connecting through your
cable modem to your ISP.  In YaST2 go to Network/Basic, Network card
configuration.  You could initially configure your eth0 for dhcp, but may
eventually want to set it to a static IP outside of the Dlink's dhcp
assigned range (along with gateway to your Dlink LAN IP, and your ISP's
nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf).  Although, if you have a Dlink that can
do IP assignment by MAC address (my DI-704 can) you could use that to set
your Linux box to a fixed IP automatically.

Note that Konqueror locks up my DI-704 when I try to login to its config,
but Netscape or Mozilla works.  Some newer Dlinks need Java instead of
just JavaScript to configure.  I hacked the firmware of my DI-704 so I can
monitor its WAN IP from its login page without having to login (using Perl
LWP module in a daemon script).

1. Cox Cable & Suse 8.1

Anybody know the secret? How can I get online with Cox High Speed using a
motorola surfboard (sb4200)? I have it plugged into my Dlink DFE-530TX+
(which is recognized as eth0... it works in Windows btw)

network anymore. They also said that their DHCP servers don't require
authentication of any kind.

Any suggestions or general knowledge on the subject is more than welcome.

thanks,
-nikoli

2. Unkilled xterms in RedHat 6.0

3. NewMedia SCSI Bus Toaster Card

4. Suse 8.1 Professional DHCP router hangs KDE (initializing system services)

5. LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

6. Mandrake 8.1, cable modem & DHCP

7. InoculateIT detected the (W95/Happy99.worm) virus in Mailbox (Pub lic Folders), Sender (Amit Jaisingh) !!!

8. Alcatel 330 Speedtouch modem and SuSe 8.1

9. Toshiba Lpatop Modem not recognised under SuSE 8.1

10. SuSE 8.1 modem connection

11. PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

12. Suse Linux 8.1 with Smartlink 56K Modem