Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Post by Markus Ker » Wed, 14 May 2003 01:14:52

 Hi there!

 I've a big problem - in fact, two: 1, I'm afraid I've lost a complete
partition incl. some very urgent data, 2. I'm about to panic!!!

 Well, I hope you can help me with the first ...

- Have (had ?) a seperate hdb with ONE reiserFS partition: hdb1

- Have deleted any partitions on hda, disconnected hdb, and have
installed Suse 8.0

- Thought I could reconnect and mount hdb1 after having finished
installation by adding /dev/hdb1 reiserfs blabla... to fstab

- Linux hangs while booting when trying to "check partition" ...

- Please tell me there *is* a chance to read that partition, please -
I'm in trouble, if that won't work ...

Sincerely,

M.K.

Post by afrien » Wed, 14 May 2003 02:08:55

>  Hi there!

>  I've a big problem - in fact, two: 1, I'm afraid I've lost a complete
> partition incl. some very urgent data, 2. I'm about to panic!!!

>  Well, I hope you can help me with the first ...

> - Have (had ?) a seperate hdb with ONE reiserFS partition: hdb1

> - Have deleted any partitions on hda, disconnected hdb, and have
> installed Suse 8.0

> - Thought I could reconnect and mount hdb1 after having finished
> installation by adding /dev/hdb1 reiserfs blabla... to fstab

> - Linux hangs while booting when trying to "check partition" ...

> - Please tell me there *is* a chance to read that partition, please -
> I'm in trouble, if that won't work ...

> Sincerely,

> M.K.

Hi Markus,

can you check with fdisk if your hdb1 partition is still there ? (e.g.
boot rescue system from SuSE CD, fix your fstab, and let us know)

There is no point to discuss any further, before we don't know it is still
there, or lost for some reason.

Also, it would be nice if you could mention what system you had on before
you installed SuSE 8.0. What kernel have you been using then, and what
kernel are you using now ( 2.4.16-4GB by chance ?) ?

What ReiseerFS version did you use to format hdb1, and is the second
hardisk recognised at all when you boot SuSE 8.0 ?

We need more information about your setup in order to help you.

Martin

Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Post by Markus Ker » Wed, 14 May 2003 03:07:22

Hi friend,

 thanx for your advice:

>can you check with fdisk if your hdb1 partition is still there ? (e.g.
>boot rescue system from SuSE CD, fix your fstab, and let us know)

I wish I could - the rescue system will hang just there, where hd-boot
hangs.

"INSTALL WITH SAFE OPTIONS" works AND recognised hdb1, so it must be
there - however, how can I access the hdb1 using this option?

Quote:>There is no point to discuss any further, before we don't know it is still
>there, or lost for some reason.

"INSTALL SAFE OPTIONS" works. Still, I can assure it *is* there.
^^^^

Quote:>Also, it would be nice if you could mention what system you had on before
>you installed SuSE 8.0. What kernel have you been using then, and what
>kernel are you using now ( 2.4.16-4GB by chance ?) ?

I'll try.

Look, this is the fileserver of our workgroup at university (-> This
is, why I'm gonna be in trouble, propably). The former admin has
vanished into haze, so it was up to me to update the system and I
doubt I will be able to contact him. So I'll lack for some info:

Former OS: Suse 7.2
Kernel: Don't know, either 2.2. or 2.4. - I guess, it must have been
the default kernel, Suse 7.2 chooses ...

Quote:>What ReiseerFS version did you use to format hdb1,

Again: I don't know and assume, it must have been the default version,
Suse 7.2 chooses

Quote:> and is the second
>hardisk recognised at all when you boot SuSE 8.0 ?

Yes, it is! hdb *is* recognised, not so the partition hdb1 in standard
startup - SAFE MODE seems to work, but see ^^^^

Quote:>We need more information about your setup in order to help you.

Anything you want!

 Thank you very much, again, for your advice so far ...

Sincerely

Markus K.

Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Post by Markus Ker » Wed, 14 May 2003 03:11:05

Sorry, forgot to answer this:

Quote:>What kernel have you been using then, and what
>kernel are you using now ( 2.4.16-4GB by chance ?) ?

 2.4.18-4GB

Post by Davi » Wed, 14 May 2003 03:08:37

> I've a big problem - in fact, two: 1, I'm afraid I've lost a
> complete partition incl. some very urgent data, 2. I'm about
> to panic!!!

> Well, I hope you can help me with the first ...

> - Have (had ?) a seperate hdb with ONE reiserFS partition:
> hdb1

> - Have deleted any partitions on hda, disconnected hdb, and
> have installed Suse 8.0

> - Thought I could reconnect and mount hdb1 after having
> finished installation by adding /dev/hdb1 reiserfs blabla...
> to fstab

> - Linux hangs while booting when trying to "check partition"

> - Please tell me there *is* a chance to read that partition,
> please - I'm in trouble, if that won't work ...

you should be able to mount it by adding a mount point to mount
it at.

mkdir  /olddisk     # make a mount point

mount  -t   reiserfs  /dev/hdb1   /olddisk
      # if the kernel has reiserfs support in it you should be
         able to access the data in the  /olddisk directory.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0 Kernel 2.4.20 i686 (GCC) 3.2.2

Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Post by Markus Ker » Wed, 14 May 2003 03:21:25

Quote:>you should be able to mount it by adding a mount point to mount
>it at.

>mkdir  /olddisk     # make a mount point

>mount  -t   reiserfs  /dev/hdb1   /olddisk
>      # if the kernel has reiserfs support in it you should be
>         able to access the data in the  /olddisk directory.

Well, that was exactly what I expected ... but it didn't work so.

Of course, I *did* make a mount point ... again - system will not
start-up, so I am not able to even enter a command ...

Thanx, though

M.K.

Post by Davi » Wed, 14 May 2003 03:27:31

> Well, that was exactly what I expected ... but it didn't work
> so.

> Of course, I *did* make a mount point ... again - system will
> not start-up, so I am not able to even enter a command ...

Use a rescue CD to get the system up and running. Does the kernel
have reiserfs support in it?

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0 Kernel 2.4.20 i686 (GCC) 3.2.2
Uptime: 5 days, 11:24, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.08

Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Post by Markus Ker » Wed, 14 May 2003 03:50:13

Quote:>Use a rescue CD to get the system up and running. Does the kernel
>have reiserfs support in it?

 The only option of Suse's rescue disk that recognises hdb1 without
error is: "INSTALLATION - SAFE MODE" - however, this mode seems not to
offer a bash or something ...

 The kernel definitly supports reiserfs, since all the other
partitions use reiserfs and *are* recognised ...

Thanks

M.K.

Post by Davi » Wed, 14 May 2003 05:39:34

>  The only option of Suse's rescue disk that recognises hdb1 without
> error is: "INSTALLATION - SAFE MODE" - however, this mode seems not to
> offer a bash or something ...

>  The kernel definitly supports reiserfs, since all the other
> partitions use reiserfs and *are* recognised ...

Have you tried using a KNOPPIX  CD to access the partition?

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0 Kernel 2.4.20 i686 (GCC) 3.2.2
Uptime: 5 days, 13:39, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.01

Post by Markus Ker » Wed, 14 May 2003 05:52:21

>>  The only option of Suse's rescue disk that recognises hdb1 without
>> error is: "INSTALLATION - SAFE MODE" - however, this mode seems not to
>> offer a bash or something ...

>>  The kernel definitly supports reiserfs, since all the other
>> partitions use reiserfs and *are* recognised ...

>Have you tried using a KNOPPIX  CD to access the partition?

No, I haven't yet - that's a good idea, I'll get myself a copy and
check it out ... this is gonna be a long night, I guess - all I need
is ONE more access to that partition to make a safety copy onto a
different computer ...

 I'll check this out and reply in a few hours.

 Thanx, again!

M.K.

Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Post by Neil Stephen » Wed, 14 May 2003 13:28:30

  why not try to boot the O.S. with a Suse Live Eval cd? That loads
everything into memory and only loads 2 files in the home directory.
Bash works... It is a working version with some limited access but it
should get you there and mount your drives if it is a kernel problem. It
will not remove any files that I've ever seen...

My 2 c,

NEil S>

Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

Post by Markus Ker » Wed, 14 May 2003 15:09:13

HAPPY END !!!!

 Thanks to all of you, I got access to that filesystem!!!

 So - Suse 8.0 bug? However, you saved me !!! Thanxs!

Cheers

M.K.

Post by lcoe » Sat, 17 May 2003 07:13:59

> HAPPY END !!!!
>  Thanks to all of you, I got access to that filesystem!!!
>  So - Suse 8.0 bug? However, you saved me !!! Thanxs!
> Cheers > M.K.

don't give us that bs, tell us what the problem really was.

     --Loren

1. Old ReiserFS Won't Mount After Re-Installation

 Hi there!

 I've a big problem - in fact, two: 1, I'm afraid I've lost a complete
partition incl. some very urgent data, 2. I'm about to panic!!!

 Well, I hope you can help me with the first ...

- Have (had ?) a seperate hdb with ONE reiserFS partition: hdb1

- Have deleted any partitions on hda, disconnected hdb, and have
installed Suse 8.0

- Thought I could reconnect and mount hdb1 after having finished
installation by adding /dev/hdb1 reiserfs blabla... to fstab

- Linux hangs while booting when trying to "check partition" ...

- Please tell me there *is* a chance to read that partition, please -
I'm in trouble, if that won't work ...

Sincerely,

M.K.

2. RH 7.3 + KDE3.0 kppp panel icon weird behaviour

3. help?: Re-installation of Vision 97 (processes won't start)

4. Help with Expect.

5. Change user name with admintool, old mount won't go away.

6. Xfree Boot up

7. Apache Server's re-installation

8. system calls

9. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount

10. NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.

11. YDL 2.3 Installation Problem: won't mount CD

12. Installation won't mount CD NEC 3xi on SoundBlaster SCSI-2

13. Old ISO 9660 CD's don't mount