Problems with an IDE HD and new SCSI HD

Post by Jack N. Gallemor » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

I've got 2 Adaptec 1542C SCSI controller cards with a SCSI CD-ROM and
tape drive hung off one of the cards.  I decided to add 2 560M SCSI hard
drives to the second card to supplement my IDE hard drive.  I put the 2
drives into my /etc/proc file, fdisked, formatted, and made them mount
on /backup and /storage.  Upon reboot, I went into the SCSI Controller
software and made sure that they were being recognized.

When I boot up, neither hard drives appear in the bootup messages.  Is
there something that I have forgotten?

Direct emails are appreciated, but not necessary.

Jack
--
*Views and opinions expressed do not reflect the Oklahoma Air National
Guard, United States Air Force, the United States of America, or this

...So I sat back and collected my thoughts.  Someday
I'll have them all.     - Vlad Taltos

Problems with an IDE HD and new SCSI HD

Post by Jack N. Gallemor » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

> I've got 2 Adaptec 1542C SCSI controller cards with a SCSI CD-ROM and
> tape drive hung off one of the cards.  I decided to add 2 560M SCSI hard
> drives to the second card to supplement my IDE hard drive.  I put the 2
> drives into my /etc/proc file, fdisked, formatted, and made them mount
> on /backup and /storage.  Upon reboot, I went into the SCSI Controller
> software and made sure that they were being recognized.

> When I boot up, neither hard drives appear in the bootup messages.  Is
> there something that I have forgotten?

> Direct emails are appreciated, but not necessary.

> Jack
> --
> *Views and opinions expressed do not reflect the Oklahoma Air National
> Guard, United States Air Force, the United States of America, or this
> particular planet.

> ...So I sat back and collected my thoughts.  Someday
> I'll have them all.     - Vlad Taltos

Sigh...I forgot about the /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab files.  Will I ever
learn?  It's workinging dandy now, so I've got another 1G of space!!!!

Jack
--
*Views expressed do not reflect the Oklahoma Air National Guard,
United States Air Force, or the United States of America...

...So I sat back and collected my thoughts.  Someday
I'll have them all.     - Vlad Taltos

1. Setting up 2 new SCSI HD in a system with an IDE HD

I've attempted on several occations to set up 2 SCSI HDs in a existing
system with an IDE HD.  I had planned to just hang them off the SCSI
controller (ADAPTEC 1542C/F) that already has the floppy and CD-ROM
running.

I've never got it to work with some small sucess.  The HD will format
with checks, and fdisk seems to work.  I use the word seems because the
partition table configuration never seems to set.  I've tried low-level
formating the drives, and reinstalling them, but they lock the whole
system up after reboot.

I'm running 1.2.1 as a web server, so I hate to take it down for too
long.  Any help will be appreciated.

Jack
-
*Views expressed do not reflect the Oklahoma Air National Guard,
United States Air Force, or the United States of America...

...So I sat back and collected my thoughts.  Someday
I'll have them all.     - Vlad Taltos

2. Networking w/ notebook

3. ANSWER Re: Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

4. mpeg movie capturing

5. Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

6. Slackware96 /dev/console

7. New/fast IDE HD with older HD

8. Motif Window Manager for Solaris 2.6

9. How to transfer root and boot from scsi hd to ide hd

10. Have IDE HD want to add SCSI HD

11. To boot with SCSI HD and Linux on IDE HD

12. New Install on New HD with an Old HD Copy question