Need help installing slackware w/ low memory

Need help installing slackware w/ low memory

Post by rkeh.. » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am currently trying to install Linux using the slackware
distribution on an old 386 I have.  However, it only has 2 megs of RAM
and it always hangs after I put the rootdisk in and says something
like:

RAMDISK: Minix filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 1440 blocks into ram disk... -

but doesn't do anything after a while.

I've also tried using loadlin as suggested in lowmem.txt, but it says
the kernel I'm trying to use is either very old or corrupt, but after
downloading it several times from the most current distribution I
don't see why it would be.

I'd really appreciate any help on this one.

1. Low Memory Slackware Install

I was going to post a question here about how to install Slackware
on an old 386 laptop with only 6MB RAM.  However I figured it out
and decided to offer the answer instead!

Details at http://www.sunsetsystems.com/tip-lowmem.html.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

2. Looking for a Motherboard to run Linux...

3. Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

4. linuxconf kills networking

5. Low memory RedHat install, how?

6. Super low power (energy) linux server?

7. Installing w/low memory? (Red Hat)

8. IBM 3 channel RAID controller 2494 question

9. Low Memory Problem Installing Linux

10. RedHat 5.2 install hangs on low memory (8MB) PC

11. Low memory Red Hat install, how? -- InfoMagic broken

12. Low memory install problem

13. Problems with low memory install