RedHat 6.1 upgrade and lilo.conf

Post by James Jone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just upgraded to RedHat 6.1 on a system which I have set up for dual
boot of OS-9 and Linux.  All apparently went well until I decided to
boot OS-9...at which point I found that os9 was no longer recognized as
something I could boot.

Investigation shows that the upgrade changed the lilo.conf file (making
a backup, for which I am grateful), which I can understand, but the
changed version didn't include the alternatives that I had in the then-
current lilo.conf file.  This seems somewhat rude, and while it will be
trivial to set things back the way they were, I'd think that the upgrade
code should be smart enough to keep the other alternatives from the
lilo.conf file.

I'll nudge Red Hat about this, but figured I should post here so that
people won't find themselves unpleasantly surprised.

    James Jones

Opinions herein are those of the author, and not necessarily those of
any organization.

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I just upgraded to RedHat 6.1 on a system which I have set up for dual
>boot of OS-9 and Linux.  All apparently went well until I decided to
>boot OS-9...at which point I found that os9 was no longer recognized as
>something I could boot.

>Investigation shows that the upgrade changed the lilo.conf file (making
>a backup, for which I am grateful), which I can understand, but the
>changed version didn't include the alternatives that I had in the then-
>current lilo.conf file.  This seems somewhat rude, and while it will be
>trivial to set things back the way they were, I'd think that the upgrade
>code should be smart enough to keep the other alternatives from the
>lilo.conf file.

Yeah. This is why I tend to upgrade between versions of distributions
manually these days, rather than using the installer programs. It
takes more time, but your configuration doesn't get shot in the head.
I can't remember offhand how much Debian automates the upgrade of
lilo.conf files, but it certainly has it marked as a configuration
file and therefore explicitly asks you to examine the differences
between the two files and decide which one to keep (or indeed how to
merge the old and the new versions).

--

Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]
"Logic is about * a dead horse." - Computer Science lecturer

RedHat 6.1 upgrade and lilo.conf

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I just upgraded to RedHat 6.1 on a system which I have set up for dual
>boot of OS-9 and Linux.  All apparently went well until I decided to
>boot OS-9...at which point I found that os9 was no longer recognized as
>something I could boot.

>Investigation shows that the upgrade changed the lilo.conf file (making
>a backup, for which I am grateful), which I can understand, but the
>changed version didn't include the alternatives that I had in the then-
>current lilo.conf file.  This seems somewhat rude, and while it will be
>trivial to set things back the way they were, I'd think that the upgrade
>code should be smart enough to keep the other alternatives from the
>lilo.conf file.

Maybe yes, but in my case it did recognize the other OS correctly and
I was given a choice of which OS to boot as default. Still creating a new
lilo.conf though that did not contain my 'append=' that I need to
recognize my cdrom.

OS-9 ???

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

1. Upgrading from Redhat 6.1 to RedHat 9.0?

Hello,

We have a Pentium PC with RedHat 6.1 that we primarily use as a file
server. The key software we use on it is Samba.

Would upgrading this machine be a complicated process to upgrade it
from the present RedHat 6.1 to the newest RedHat 9.0? Would there be
any problems with the newer Samba being significantly different from
the older version or anything like that?

Those of you who have done similar upgrades, was it a smooth process
with few problems? Can you refer us to any resources that would help?

Thanks,

Guru

2. clarification on dhcp

3. Redhat 6.0 to Redhat 6.1 upgrade

4. Problems with ISDN

5. lilo.conf and lilo.conf~

6. What netmask for masqueraded network?

7. (Q) Can I upgrade from 6.1 to 6.1?

8. Open letter to Intergraph for support

9. lilo problems on RedHat 6.1

10. PR440FX Motherboard, SCSI, LILO, and Redhat 6.1

11. No LILO boot prompt with RedHat 6.1

12. RedHat 6.1 rdev and lilo problems with /dev/ida

13. lilo misbehaves on redhat 6.1