How to load ALSA sound module at startup?

How to load ALSA sound module at startup?

Post by QuestionExchang » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you have the module working with modprobe, just add the
modprobe line to the very end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local
That will get the modules loaded at startup.
You can make an rc script to load the modules for each runlevel
that you go into, but that takes a degree of bash programming.
Look at /etc/rc.d/skeleton to get a bare-bones example of an rc
script.
After you have made the script, make a symbolic link from
/etc/rc.d/rcx.d to the script, where x is the number of
runlevel that you want sound to be in.  Each link will have
either an S or K for start or kill, and a number for what order
to run the script in.
It's quite complicated, but works well.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...

1. How to load ALSA sound module at startup?

Another newbies question...

I am using SuSE 6.2 and have got ALSA 0.4.1h installed. At the moment, I have
to run the following command to activate the sound:

/sbin/modprobe snd-card-cs4232 snd_port=0x534 snd_cport=0x90 snd_mpu_port=0x330
snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=0 snd_dma1_size=8 snd_dma2=1
snd_dma2_size=8

I would like to have this automated at startup. I have been playing with the
post-install at /etc/.conf.modules file but could not get it working anyhow.
Can somebody help?

Here is a portion from the /etc/conf.modules file:

alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4232
options snd-card-cs4232 snd_index=1 snd_id="cs4232"
alias char-major-14 cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
options cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
options opl3 io=0x388
post-install snd-card-cs4232 modprobe "-k" opl3

Many thanks.
Roy

2. Upgrading to 1.1.x ?

4. NTT's "MN128 Mini" Terminal Adapter

5. editing modules.conf to load sound driver modules

6. dosemu drives me nuts!

7. modules not automatically loaded + only have sound for WAV file (sound problem)

8. HELP configuring X with CLGD7543 laptop!

9. Does playing sound from CDROM supposed to load sound module?

10. Sound modules get loaded, but no sound card in the system

11. ALSA: help loading emu10k1 module

12. ALSA drivers and loading modules

13. intermittent alsa module loading problem