EZ-Drive + LILO + hdb DOS boot ???

Post by Moshe Dav » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to have LILO boot DOS on a primary partition on a
2nd hard drive when EZ-Drive disk manager is installed in the 1st
hard drive's MBR, and LILO is in the first sector of a primary
partition on the first hard drive?

I recently bought a Quantum Fireball 3.1GB hard disk, which came
partitioned:
C: 1.6 GB with w95 installed
D: 1.5 GB empty DOS partition
and with EZ-Drive disk manager instead of the "normal" w95 MBR

I repartitioned the drive as follows :
hda1 -  1.6 GB      w95 (as in original scheme)
hda2 -  32 MB      linux swap
hda3 -  1.47 GB    linux
In other words, the first (w95) partition I left alone, and the
second (empty) partition was converted to hda2 and hda3.  LILO
was installed in the first sector of hda3, which was marked as the
active boot partition.  (This setup I saw recommended in the
document   /usr/src/Linux-2.0/Document/ide.txt)

EZ-Drive starts to boot, then hands off to LILO, from where
I can choose either linux (RH 4.1, kernel 2.0.27) or w95.  So far so
good. The problem:

I have a second hard disk (Seagate 1.6G) with three DOS6.22
partitions (was once 1st HD).  I would like to use this disk as hdb.
I wanted to also be able to boot this drive from LILO by adding to
/etc/lilo.conf  :

other=/dev/hdb1
     label=dos
     loader=/boot/any_d.b  #tricks DOS into thinking it is on C:
     table=/dev/hdb

(This is mentioned in the LILO user guide) and running  /sbin/lilo .
But when I try to boot DOS through LILO, I get the friendly message:

"Non-System disk or disk error. Replace and
press any key when ready"

After hitting a key, another love note:

"EZ-Drive:  initializing...
EZ-Drive:  Not loading since EZ-Drive is not controlling any drives."
Then repeats:
"Non-System disk ..."

I reread the fine print in the LILO guide, and lo and behold - it
says that the loader file /boot/any_d.b  installs a resident driver
(where?  in the MBR on hdb?  in RAM?)  which will "swap the first and
second hard disk drive.  It can boot any operating system from the
second hard disk, as long as that operating system uses _only_ the
BIOS to access that hard disk."  I had originally thought that since
as far as I know, DOS accesses the disk through the BIOS, this
wouldn't be a problem.  But apparently this isn't the case here.

From w95 I can access the files on the second hard disk.  Haven't as
yet tried to access it from linux.

I wonder if there is a workaround, given that I've got this EZ-Drive
disk controller installed in the MBR of hda.

Any other suggestions how to boot MSDOS from hbd?

Many thanks in advance.
Moshe Davis

EZ-Drive + LILO + hdb DOS boot ???

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it possible to have LILO boot DOS on a primary partition on a
>2nd hard drive when EZ-Drive disk manager is installed in the 1st
>hard drive's MBR, and LILO is in the first sector of a primary
>partition on the first hard drive?

This should work.

Quote:>I recently bought a Quantum Fireball 3.1GB hard disk, which came
>partitioned:
>C: 1.6 GB with w95 installed
>D: 1.5 GB empty DOS partition
>and with EZ-Drive disk manager instead of the "normal" w95 MBR
>I repartitioned the drive as follows :
>hda1 -  1.6 GB      w95 (as in original scheme)
>hda2 -  32 MB      linux swap
>hda3 -  1.47 GB    linux
>In other words, the first (w95) partition I left alone, and the
>second (empty) partition was converted to hda2 and hda3.  LILO
>was installed in the first sector of hda3, which was marked as the
>active boot partition.  (This setup I saw recommended in the
>document   /usr/src/Linux-2.0/Document/ide.txt)

>EZ-Drive starts to boot, then hands off to LILO, from where
>I can choose either linux (RH 4.1, kernel 2.0.27) or w95.  So far so
>good. The problem:
>I have a second hard disk (Seagate 1.6G) with three DOS6.22
>partitions (was once 1st HD).  I would like to use this disk as hdb.
>I wanted to also be able to boot this drive from LILO by adding to
>/etc/lilo.conf  :
>other=/dev/hdb1
>     label=dos
>     loader=/boot/any_d.b  #tricks DOS into thinking it is on C:
>     table=/dev/hdb
>But when I try to boot DOS through LILO, I get the friendly message:
>"Non-System disk or disk error. Replace and
>press any key when ready"

I would guess that your partition '/dev/hdb1' is not properly
initialized.  You need to boot that version of DOS from a floppy.
When you do so, be sure to follow the EZ-drive requirements of
booting from the hard disk and hitting the keys to ask EZ-Drive to
start the floppy boot.  (Sorry, I don't know what keys, since I don't
use EZ-drive).  Once booted from floppy, try running:

   SYS D:

That should install the operating system files on that DOS 6.22
partition.

Quote:>After hitting a key, another love note:
>"EZ-Drive:  initializing...
>EZ-Drive:  Not loading since EZ-Drive is not controlling any drives."
>Then repeats:
>"Non-System disk ..."

In this case something different is happening.  The first boot
failed, due to the "Non-system disk".  The boot is being retried.
But because the 'any_d.b' has logically swapped disks, on the second
occasion you are booting from the MBR of the second hard drive.  Most
likely EZ-Drive is also installed there, but is not configured.

Quote:>I reread the fine print in the LILO guide, and lo and behold - it
>says that the loader file /boot/any_d.b  installs a resident driver
>(where?  in the MBR on hdb?  in RAM?)  which will "swap the first and
>second hard disk drive.

It installs this in RAM.

1. Booting problems with EZ-Drive and 2 IDE hard drives.

I hope someone out there can help me with this problem.  I don't
really want to go buy new hardware to run linux.

During boot it gets to the line about Java Binary support (the line
before it mounts the VFS partition) and then the machine hangs, the
hard drive light stays on constantly and the machine needs to be
hard rebooted.

I've tried using boot disks, both the simple and lilo boot disk
options and it behaves the same.  I don't understand why I can
install information to the drive when I mount using setup(as part
of boot+root install disks).  If I mount by hand(using boot+root disks)
the system locks up as above.

Here's some relevant messages during boot:

[...]
hda: WDC AC36400L, 6149MB w/256kB Cache, LBA, CHS=833/240/30
hdb: Conner Peripherals 1275MB - CFS1276A, 1221MB w/0kB Cache, LBA,
     CHS=620/64/63
[...]
Partition check
   hda:[EZD][remap 0 -> 1][784/255/63] hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6>
   hdb:[EZD][remap 0 -> 1][620/64/63] hdb1 hdb2

Some system info:
- Pentium 133, 32 Megs RAM
- 2 IDE Hard drives, BIOS reports
        HD1 = 13328,15,63  (cyl, hds, secs)
        HD2 = 2482, 16, 63 (cyl, hds, secs)
- Both HDs are on the 1st IDE controller port using Master/Slave.
- The second IDE controller port is being used by a CD-ROM.
- Linux 2.0.29
- Slackware 3.2

Email Replies to: duvall<AT>clark<DOT>net

2. RedHat Install Follies -- Need Help!!!

3. Patritioning WD 8.4 GB drive and Linux and EZ-Drive/EZ-Bios

4. Slackware Linux setup

5. MBR on HDB? LILO booting from HDB?

6. F5 BigIP configuration for LDAP protocol

7. LILO: booting DOS from /dev/hdb -- SOLVED!

8. Ahhh!

9. Lilo & EZ-Drive

10. LILO and EZ-Drive

11. LILO and Western Digital's EZ-Drive

12. LILO and EZ-Drive: Can they coexist?

13. LILO and Booting from SCSI EZ drive