Having trouble with XF86 acel servers?

Post by Andrae Mu » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have noticed a number of complaints, questions, and cries for help
trying to get the various XFree86 accelerated servers to work.

Now it is documented in the various FAQ's HOWTO's and README's but for the
sake of all I thought I might just post a quick note.

When installing XFree86, regardless of your distribution, make sure that
you install both the relevant accelerated server AND the standard SVGA
server.

Then make sure that you have /usr/X11R6/bin/X symbolically linked to the
SVGA server (I forget where it lives).  This means that you are using the
generic SVGA server when you run X.

Then concentrate on getting X to work with the SVGA server.  Once it is
working to your satisfaction, change the link to point to the relevant
accel X server, and add the appropriate device section to your XF86config
file (make a back-up first).  Of course you can use one of the automated
scripts out there, but remember to back-up your working XF86config first.

Then if it dosn't work, and you're sure that the entries in XF86config are
correct, post here.

Andrae Muys

Andrae Muys               | Linux... What do you want to DO today!
4th(and a half)Yr CSE     |
University of Queensland. | Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice Doggie!"
Australia                 |    till you can find a rock. - Wynn Catlin

Post by John Forko » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

[...]

I don't think this will work with the S3_Virge cards.  When I first
set up a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 card, it worked okay with the vga
server, but _not_ with the svga server.  And the only way to take
full advantage of it was to get the _S3V server from the 3.2 release.
I think that anyone trying to use the svga server with a Virge card
is going to get very frustrated very quickly.

1. Having Trouble Upgrading to XF86 3.3.3.1

Help pleeease!!

Have Redhat 5.2 with old XF86 3.2.5 and am trying to upgrade this to 3.3.3.1
so that I can use X with my Matrox G200 AGP 8MB.

I have copied from a free CD the .tgz files ( Xbin.tgz..... etc ) as well as
the preinst.sh, postinst.sh, extract, and XVG16.tgz and XSVGA.tgz to
/var/tmp - as instructed on the CD.

Did a cd to /usr/X11R6 and typed sh /var/tmp/preinst.sh
                                                   and sh
/var/tmp/postinst.sh

Things came on the screen for links, and something about upgrading fonts.

I check everything using rpm -qa |egrep XF and it reports X version 3.2.5
not 3.3.3.1 !!!!

I even tried to setup X but it doesn't recognise my graphics card, nor if I
select the MGA driver will it let me use anything other than 300x200 8bpp!!

I assume the upgrade hasn't installed.  What have I not done, or should I
not have done??

Any help...................

Regards

Martin Boulger

2. Kernal Configuration

3. Having trouble with Tseng ET4000_W32i and W32 Server for X

4. [proposition of drivers documentation]

5. HAving trouble setting up X [Trident Troubles]

6. Compiler for ksh scripts

7. Newbie having trouble setting up X server.

8. Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)

9. dip: Unknown Server Error - Newbie is having trouble

10. Having trouble running modem tool on server install

11. Having problems untarring XF86-3.1

12. Another person having difficulty configuring XF86

13. Setting up Xf86 and having problems