Red Hat 3.0.3 install can't find SCSI CD

Red Hat 3.0.3 install can't find SCSI CD

Post by Rosc » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

     Any assistance appreciated.

     I have a Micron P6-200 on which I am attempting to install Red Hat
Linux 3.0.3 (kernal 1.2.13). Once past the boot prompt, I get a string of
"unknown PCI" type errors, and when I get to the actual install, the probe
for the CD-ROM fails completely.

     The CD-ROM is a Plextor SCSI. I have tried* it off of both a
Buslogic BT-946C and ASUS SC-200 (NCR53c810) PCI SCSI card. I have tried
various methods of specifying the SCSI device and the CD-ROM as parameters,
but I usually get a kernal panic.

boot: linux buslogic=0x330 scsi=0B00

for example.

     When I tried two ASUS cards at once, the boot hung after going through
all the SCSI tests for both cards.

     I've got one EIDE drive already partitioned, and I've got 2 SCSI drives
(and another on the way, which is why I want two SCSI cards: To divide up
the workload).

     I haven't found anything that might help in the ASUS FAQ, the PCI
How-to, nor the SCSI How-to.

     Any help getting my toy in working order would be greatly appreciated.

--
               SysOp, CUE Here BBS  (403) 465-7715

Post by Jan Walt » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

:      The CD-ROM is a Plextor SCSI. I have tried* it off of both a
: Buslogic BT-946C and ASUS SC-200 (NCR53c810) PCI SCSI card. I have tried
: various methods of specifying the SCSI device and the CD-ROM as parameters,
: but I usually get a kernal panic.

: boot: linux buslogic=0x330 scsi=0B00

Here are a few things I would try:
1. In the CD-ROM or SCSI howto there should be something on how to tell
the kernel where the CD-ROM Drive sits. I would shoot for the NCR SCSI, btw.

2. Make sure you have the right boot disk - some of them do not have all the
SCSI Drivers built in. Some of the CD-ROMs that RH Linux ships on have 2
boot disk indexes, and I think under some configurations they differ. You
said you tried all of the SCSI switches, so I think this will be your best bet.

3. Look at the updated howtos at www.redhat.com, and keep in mind that these
howtos generally detail the Slackware release, not the rhs.

Cheers,

Jan Walter

--
// Centurion Services
// "Quality from the Start"

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Strange PPP behaviour again.

3. Red Hat floppyless install can't find Aztech CD

4. Strange sound card problem

5. Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

6. Linux eMachine Compatible?

7. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

8. Installing OS5 over 3.2v4.2? Possible??

9. Red Hat scsi CD won't install???

10. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

11. 7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM

12. SCSI not found in install - Adaptec 1522B PnP + Red Hat 5.1

13. Red Hat 8 install fails to find SCSI drives