After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically

After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del
 and it
>caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I configured
 it to
>do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I got
 kind
>help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to
 console, after
>which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then
 after I
>log in through console and try startx, X started without any glitch
 (even
>though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I had
>before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will
 hang there
>without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and
 start X
>later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then
 which one
>could it be?

Check your /etc/inittab file. You will need to change
the default runlevel from 5 to 3.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
How come wrong numbers are never busy?

Post by craig.kel.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del
 and it
> caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I
 configured it to
> do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I
 got kind
> help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to
 console, after
> which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then
 after I
> log in through console and try startx, X started without any glitch
 (even
> though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I
 had
> before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will
 hang there
> without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and
 start X
> later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then
 which one
> could it be?

gdm or xdm is run from /etc/inittab for runlevel 5 (which is what you
mean by "X started up automatically")

Did you, by chance, upgrade X11 recently?  Is gdm still installed?
 Do
you get any errors verifying X11?

rpm --verify XFree86
rpm --verify gdm

Post by mingyi... » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del
 and it
> >caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I
 configured it to
> >do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I
 got kind
> >help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to
 console, after
> >which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then
 after I
> >log in through console and try startx, X started without any
 glitch (even
> >though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I
 had
> >before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will
 hang there
> >without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and
 start X
> >later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then
 which one
> >could it be?
> Check your /etc/inittab file. You will need to change
> the default runlevel from 5 to 3.

> --
> Registered Linux User # 125653
> How come wrong numbers are never busy?
>  12:36pm  up 10 days, 11:44,  7 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.17,

 0.11

Thanks, I set it to 3 now.

Mingyi

After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically

Post by mingyi... » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del
 and it
> > caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I
 configured it to
> > do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I
 got kind
> > help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to
 console, after
> > which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then
 after I
> > log in through console and try startx, X started without any
 glitch (even
> > though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I
 had
> > before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will
 hang there
> > without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and
 start X
> > later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working,
 then which one
> > could it be?

> gdm or xdm is run from /etc/inittab for runlevel 5 (which is what
 you
> mean by "X started up automatically")

> Did you, by chance, upgrade X11 recently?  Is gdm still installed?
 Do
> you get any errors verifying X11?

> rpm --verify XFree86
> rpm --verify gdm

> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.

 block

I verified XFree86, here's the output:
SM5....T /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir
I also verified gdm, nothing was output (I guess it's fine).
Now my run level is set at 3 because I did not want to have X
 automatically
started.

I also checked inittab, the last several lines are:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Do you think there's something wrong with that?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Mingyi

1. After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically,it

[...]

Thanks.

Mingyi

2. fsck during boot

3. After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically,it hangs

4. pptp mandrake 7.2

5. X can start by startx, but when started automatically after linux is loaded,it hangs

6. Parallel Port tools

7. How 'startx' automatically start fvwm ?

8. hdb "error reading sector..."

9. How do you start startx (automatically) after login?

10. how to start kde automatically when x starts?

11. How do I start X automatically when I start Linux???

12. Automatically starting program when GNOME starts

13. Automatically starting dialup connection when starting Netscape?