IBM Internet & Red Hat 5.0 Setup

Post by <darcy.on.. » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I've just recently installed Red Hat 5.0 on a system and am trying to
connect to IBM's Internet Connection service. However the script they have
available for PPP & SLIP seem to have a few glitch's in them. The scripts
can be found at:

http://www.ibm.net/hlpctr/html/slip_slip-linux.html
http://www.ibm.net/hlpctr/html/ppp_pppscripts.html

I'm using a standard USR Sporster 28.8 modem.

If anyone has any experience with the IBM service please let me know.

Thanks,

Darcy

Post by Alen Peacoc » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I've just recently installed Red Hat 5.0 on a system and am trying to
> connect to IBM's Internet Connection service. However the script they have
> available for PPP & SLIP seem to have a few glitch's in them. The scripts
> can be found at:

> http://www.ibm.net/hlpctr/html/slip_slip-linux.html
> http://www.ibm.net/hlpctr/html/ppp_pppscripts.html

> I'm using a standard USR Sporster 28.8 modem.

> If anyone has any experience with the IBM service please let me know.

  It's been a few months, but I was successful using IBM for my internet
connection with the PPP scripts provided on a RH5.0 system.  Are you
sure your modem is being detected and works correctly (i.e., can you
dial with it from a program terminal program)?  Did you make the
neccesary changes to the scripts (entering your username and password,
port speed, etc)?  I can mail you my scripts if you need them.
  Good luck,
        Alen

__________________________________
           Alen Peacock
 Performance Evaluation Laboratory
     Brigham Young University

----------------------------------

IBM Internet & Red Hat 5.0 Setup

Post by <darcy.on.. » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The main problem with the IBM PPP script is the use of the "+ua" option
which isn't recognized when the ppp-on command is invoked. The modem can
dial out no problem (dial tone, handshake, etc.) using SLIP but the
connection just hangs or the system refuses to connect. I was hoping PPP
would be a better option. Also I've check each file multiple times and am
pretty sure all is well with them. So if you wouldn't mind sending me your
script, minus password etc, I could compare and see if something else is the
problem.

Thanks in advance,

Darcy O'Neil

>> Hello,

>> I've just recently installed Red Hat 5.0 on a system and am trying to
>> connect to IBM's Internet Connection service. However the script they
have
>> available for PPP & SLIP seem to have a few glitch's in them. The scripts
>> can be found at:

>> http://www.ibm.net/hlpctr/html/slip_slip-linux.html
>> http://www.ibm.net/hlpctr/html/ppp_pppscripts.html

>> I'm using a standard USR Sporster 28.8 modem.

>> If anyone has any experience with the IBM service please let me know.

>  It's been a few months, but I was successful using IBM for my internet
>connection with the PPP scripts provided on a RH5.0 system.  Are you
>sure your modem is being detected and works correctly (i.e., can you
>dial with it from a program terminal program)?  Did you make the
>neccesary changes to the scripts (entering your username and password,
>port speed, etc)?  I can mail you my scripts if you need them.
>  Good luck,
> Alen

>__________________________________
>           Alen Peacock
> Performance Evaluation Laboratory
>     Brigham Young University

>----------------------------------

1. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

Hello everybody - what a beautiful day it is! Let's not get to funked
up, and get yourself a nice little pink flower to put in a orange vase.
Then grab yourself a slice and sit down and enjoy yourself. It can be
done in lot's of different ways -- just go ahead and do it under the
green sun.

Well... Nevermind.

I'm planning to buy Red Hat 5.1 official to replace my Red Hat 5.0 with.
But before I do that I wonder if there are any disadvantages, hazards or
such with RH 5.1, compared to RH 5.0. Is the installation as safe (don't
forget LILO), and things such as X, sound-support, printers and ppp -
are they still well supported, and not buggy or so?

Thanks in advance,

/Henrik

By the way, don't let the opening of this letter make you think that I'm
not serious enough.

2. Netscape Navigator v4.7 on Solaris 7

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. how to fix wtmp wierdness?

5. Red Hat 5.0 Internet and Misc questions

6. permissions of mail progr

7. Internet problem with Red Hat 5.0

8. Can linux or linux clustering do this... ?

9. Internet Access using Red Hat 5.0

10. Red Hat 5.0 setup- newbie

11. newbie setup Red Hat 4.1 vs 5.0

12. Red Hat 5.0 setup