upgrade to newer kernal? (dx2/66 w16)

Post by It's spelled F-R-A-N-K, but it's pronounced MOZIL » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

On a DX2/66 w 16meg and 2 IDE (one 540, other 1620),  UMSDOS and EXT2 needed,
what would be the best kernal for me to use.  1.2.1 is working fine for me
with absolutely no problems (at least since I set it up a few months ago),
but could I increase performance by uping my kernal?  Again, UMSDOS support is
necesary.  thanks

please mail all replies
--
f magrone
univ mo/kc acs

1. I just made my DX2/66 a DX2/75!?!?!

After reading about somenoe saying they are running their Intel DX2/66 at
80 mhz, I decided to give it a try with my AMD 66... I changed around the
jumpers on the motherboard and my system said 75Mhz CPU on the bootup
screen!!! I was elated!  I HAD to see if this was really more performance
or just a bullcrap inflated Mhz rating...

I compiled my linux kernel at 66 mhz... Took 124 seconds... After my "modification" it compiled in only 97 secnds!!!! wowow!!!

Is this like puniching holes in DD disks to make them HD only to have them
lose all their data in a few weeks?  What is the downside to ru nning my
CPU a little too fast??  Or am i just getting FREE extra performance???

2. Remote Line Printing with r3.2v4.2

3. Upgrading my DX2-66 to a P120

4. Announcing Nexenta OS: "Debian based GNU/Solaris"

5. GUS + BusLogic BT-445S + STB Pegasus + DX2/66 + 256 kB cache = trouble

6. Major problems installing Red Hat--Desperate for help

7. which distribution will work on old 486 DX2/66

8. Qt & data base

9. 3c509 ethernet and IBM aptiva 486 DX2 66

10. Linux on the SGS-Thompson DX2-66 Chip

11. ghostscript and AMD DX2-66

12. SGS THOMSON DX2-66 any good ?

13. AMD vs INTEL DX2-66 for Linux