Logging in other than root

Post by Willia » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a strange problem that I've never heard of before.  When I login
from my Login: prompt as a regular user I get the message...

No Directory /home/cmw!

and I get send to the login prompt again.  The only way I can log in is
through root.  When I try to "su cmw" from root I get the message...

su: Cannot execute: permission denied:/bin/tcsh

If I set my UID in /etc/passwd to 0 I can log in but that is the only way.
I've checked the file permissions and such and I'm at a loss.  If anyone knows
what the problem may be and how it can be solved it would be greatly
appreciated.

-Christopher M. Williams

Logging in other than root

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I'm having a strange problem that I've never heard of before.  When I login
>from my Login: prompt as a regular user I get the message...

>No Directory /home/cmw!

>and I get send to the login prompt again.  The only way I can log in is
>through root.  When I try to "su cmw" from root I get the message...

>su: Cannot execute: permission denied:/bin/tcsh

>If I set my UID in /etc/passwd to 0 I can log in but that is the only way.
>I've checked the file permissions and such and I'm at a loss.  If anyone knows
>what the problem may be and how it can be solved it would be greatly
>appreciated.

>-Christopher M. Williams

You have to creat the user directory before you adduser, usually in
/home (as in 'mkdir /home/cmw').  Then when you adduser it will copy
/etc/skel (I think) to that directory and change file and directory
permissions to the user.

When you login, you are sent to your home directory, which does not
exist in this case, so the login fails.

It may be easiest to delete the user from /etc/passwd, create the home
dir, and then adduser again.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. CRON Utility

3. Prevent ROOT using logging on as ROOT

4. Server error

5. PPP error when only su to root; OK if logged in as root

6. 4.8-R libc stdio backward binary compatibility

7. Can't log in as root, but can su root

8. Permission denied, while mounting

9. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

10. prevent root or others from being fingered?

11. HELP: Root password rejected (and others)

12. Why is xterm setuid root on some OSes but not others?

13. Writable by group and others root owned files