4.6.27 libs: now login won't work!

Post by Tim Holm » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

I recently ugraded my old libs to 4.6.27 from 4.5.21.  This allowed
me to finally compile some stuff which had eluded me for some time.
(I also upgraded the ld.so package).

But now login won't work.  I a message about "_setutent_ can't open
utmp" or something to that effect.  As soon as I put back the links
to the old libs, it's OK again.

I tried another login program, the one from the util-linux package,
but it keeps asking for passwords that don't exist.  I don't want
to have to temporarily change libs to compile, then back to the
old ones to run.

I started with the TAMU-1.0A distribution a while ago.

Any ideas on how to get login to work?

Post by Josh Hildebra » Mon, 29 May 1995 04:00:00

>I recently ugraded my old libs to 4.6.27 from 4.5.21.  This allowed
>me to finally compile some stuff which had eluded me for some time.
>(I also upgraded the ld.so package).

>But now login won't work.  I a message about "_setutent_ can't open
>utmp" or something to that effect.  As soon as I put back the links
>to the old libs, it's OK again.

>I tried another login program, the one from the util-linux package,
>but it keeps asking for passwords that don't exist.  I don't want
>to have to temporarily change libs to compile, then back to the
>old ones to run.

>I started with the TAMU-1.0A distribution a while ago.

>Any ideas on how to get login to work?

I recently read something to this nature:

ATTN:
1. lastlog, utmp and wtmp have been moved again by the Linux FS
   standard, the transition procedure is like this:

   a. If /var/log doesn't exist,

        cd /var; mv adm log; ln -s /var/log adm
        cd /var/log; mv utmp /var/run; ln -s /var/run/utmp .

   b. If /var/log exists,

        cd /var; mv adm/* log; rm -rf adm; ln -s /var/log adm
        cd /var/log; mv utmp /var/run; ln -s /var/run/utmp .

   You have to modify the rc scripts and re-symlink /etc/utmp and
   /etc/wtmp accordingly.
I had to modify /etc/rc.d/rc.S to use the new /var/run/utmp position.

--
Josh Hildebrand
System Administrator of JEDI.NET

Home Page: http://www.jedi.net/josh

1. Help, installed 3.1.2b, now incompatible library error '.lib/libc.so.4.6.27'

I'm still on a learning curve with linux and x so
thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Problem: I was running Slackware install of Linux 1.2.3
with xfree86 3.1.1 with no problem, it all worked great.
I decide to upgrade my cirrus isa video card to a trident 9440
vlb.
Only the new beta 3.1.2b seems to work with this card so I install
it.

x will run okay, but some things still aren't quite right. I get
the following error message when I do run x:

xterm: using incompatible library '/lib/libc.so.4.6.27'
         Desire minor version >= 7 and found 6

I know this means I need to upgrade a library from ..6 to ..7 or
above. But the error gives only a partial path, I look
all over for the exact location but could not find it.

There are a number of libraries in different location throughout
the system, but nothing that matches /lib/libc.so....

Where is it location on my system, and where can I find the
upgrade? And are there any other libraries I should be
upgrading??

2. Netscape 4.7 invalid certificate

3. /lib/libc.so.4.5.26 and /lib/libc.so.4.6.27

4. Check for valid memory location?

5. C20 as a NIM standalone client

6. ldconfig: warning: /lib/libc.so.4.6.27 is not a ZMAGIC file, skipping

7. printer with 80 char width

8. sendmail/libc 4.6.27 'name server timeout' problem

9. login breaks w. libc.4.6.27

10. ghostscript and libc 4.6.27 not work together?

11. Does BIND in libc.4.6.27 work as described?

12. Problems after installation of libc.4.6.27