CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

Post by Jess » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello

    I installed a Rage Fury 128. Upon the first bot into linux It asked to
uninstall the old video drivers -- went fine.
Then it asked to install the drivers for the card, which it detected and
identified perfectly.  It asked for the location of the source files and
gave the options of CD or Filesystem. I don't know where they would be
located on the filesystem, so I said CD. It returned with "Unable to mount
CD-ROM". I hit cancel and got shot back to the initial File location list
with CD, Filesystem, and Cancel. after several tries, it was obvious that
jiggling the wires wouldn't fix this and now Linux is unusable because when
the GUI would normally come up I now have a blank screen with occasional
hard-drive activity. I put the old card back in, identification and
configuration was perfect, (it didn't ask for the CD), but now my CD-ROM is
still not being mounted. The BIOS and Win2K are both finding the CD without
a problem.

The CD-ROM is the Master on Secondary Controller. Is a Funai X285E.

    In Win2K the CD is fine with no difficulties at all. Any
suggestions?

    In a separate, unrelated issue, Linux will not find my Soundcard. I have
a classic Soundblaster 16 ISA card for universal compatibility, but it
doesn't recognize it all. I assume this is because it is an ISA card and I
need to configure it manually. Unfortunately I am *very* new to Linux and do
not know how to do this. (Yes I've ordered "Running Linux, 2nd Ed.", but it
will not be here for a few days.)

    I would greatly appreciate any advice that could be offered. I still
have the old video card if it will be required.

Thank you,
Jesse

1. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

Hi,

  I can't install my Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with the following SCSI
related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 240MB SCSI-2 hard disk
  3) 1 Sound Blaster 16 AIC-6360 sound card
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-1 CD-ROM (I say it is SCSI-1 because ezscsi.exe provided by
     Adaptec detects it as a SCSI-1 one without support for parity checking).

  I have tried to install Linux with the following two configurations :
  1) connect the CD-ROM to SB16 card and the hard disk to 1542C controller :
     I typed the command
     Linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
     to boot Linux but failed after a long period of detecting my CD-ROM
     and dumped a lot of messages about the queue status.
     I noticed that the parity checking is enabled.

  2) connect the CD-ROM and hard disk to 1542C with parity checking disabled
     while just connect the sound output from CD-ROM to SB16 card only :

     I used the default booting process and it failed a lot faster and told
     me that it can't mount the CD-ROM (kernel panic : unable to mount VFS).

  These two configurations work fine under both OS/2 2.1 and DOS/Windows.

  Now I need help to the following questions :
  1) How can I install Linux using this CD-ROM with such config ?
  2) Which other CD-ROM distribution can I use to install Linux ?

  One of the major reasons to buy CD-ROM is to run Linux. Failing to do so
frustrated me a lot. Please help me !

Thanks in advance,
   Eddie

2. Getting IP address of user in C?

3. Universal CD-ROM resells LINUX CD-ROM

4. The *fun* of Windows

5. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

6. "Exit Fwm" only?!?!!

7. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

8. xvidtune actions not found

9. CD writer does not detect the presence of a CD-ROM

10. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

11. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

12. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

13. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)