1. help needed: problems with LILO, kernel panic, drive geometries
I recently acquired a P166 PCI motherboard with on-board IDE
controller. I've been using a 486/120 VLB board with two drives, one for
Win95 (a Seagate 1.5G) and one for Linux (a Maxtor 5.2G). I had hoped
that simply switching the drives into the new box would be okay, but I've
The machine no longer recognized my LILO, so after much tribulation I
removed it via 'fdisk /mbr' and am now able to boot into Win95 directly.
Of course, that's not what I want to do. However, my attempts to rebuild
LILO have consistently failed. I can use my ancient boot/root disks to
get Linux 1.2.8 up and running, but for some reason LILO won't install.
I can run liloconfig all right, but no joy at boot-up, it goes right into
Win95. So there's the first problem.
I have a boot floppy for my kernel version (2.0.29) but when I try
using it I receive the 'Unable to mount root fs at 03:41' error. This is
distressing, to say the least, and I don't know how to solve the problem.
Am I right in guessing that there's a conflict with the drive geometries
as reported by the BIOS (an Award PnP) ?
Now, I've done some homework on Deja News but I'm not finding the
answers. Basically, I don't care at all about the Win95 drive, it can go
and I won't miss it. But how then will I be able to boot from the Maxtor
directly into Linux if I can't install LILO ? I would be happy to boot
from the floppy, but that doesn't work.
And there's more. For some reason my CD-ROM drive (a Philips CM206)
isn't seen by Win95. I've upgraded my video from a Cirrus 5428 VLB card
to an S3 PCI card (a Diamond Stealth) but I can't retrieve the necessary
components from the Win95 CD. So I can boot into Win95 but it's running
in less-than-glorious 16 colors. I don't care for Win95, but now it even
I really miss my Linux. I hope I can avoid a total re-install,
especially since my system is a real mongrel, so if anyone can help out
it would be vastly appreciated. Thanks !
2. Different Caps Lock problem!
3. LILO won't give me back my origional MBR, please help!!!
4. set prompt
5. How to specify drive geometry w/ LILO
6. KDE says localhost not found
7. Non-standard Drive geometry and LILO
8. IPNAT/IPF + SERVER = HEADACHE
9. Hard drive geometry, boot-time parameters for LILO
10. lilo.conf - How do you set drive geometry?
11. HELP (PLEASE) LILO needed fix-table to install on IDE drive
12. HELP please! Lilo setup on SCSI drive...
13. win95 killed lilo on scsi drive. Please help!