486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by Nathan Woodhul » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

There is an ancient laptop howto at linuxdoc.org. It was pretty helpful.

> My grandpa just got a old 486 Laptop for free from a friend, it has 48
> megs of RAM and a 250 meg hard drive double-spaced to 500 megs. Only a
> floppy drive, not sure about PCMCIA slots or anything, haven't seen the
> thing yet. He wanted to put his old floppy version Win 95 A on there to
> give him something other than DOS 6.22 and Win 1.11 to play with. I told
> him Win 95 would be a bit heavyweight for a small drive like that and
> with a slow CPU with that limited RAM. I told him his best bet would
> probably be using some variation of Linux since it was fairly
> lightweight and shouldn't take too much hard drive space. What is a nice
> small Linux that will run a GUI (also what GUI should I use) what are
> some office programs to run, he uses Word Perfect at his office, but
> they want to migrate to MS Word. What programs will be fully compatible
> with WP 4/5 and Word or either that aren't too big? How do I get Linux
> on there through the floppy drive? I've heard some Linux are small
> enough to run off the floppy so I think it would be possible to get a
> 50-100 meg Linux on there for just the OS leaving 400 megs for other
> things. I'm kind of a newbie to Linux, any resources and advice would be
> greatly appreciated as I'm pretty much diving in blind at this point. I
> hear many Linux distributions are free or have free lighter versions for
> download, I have a cable modem so I can get these downloaded fairly
> quickly so a site to get some distributions from would help too. I have
> a 486 just waiting for a hard drive (getting in a month when I get a
> 75GXP IBM for my main system) to install Linux and be a Linux box to
> play with and possibly be a routing/NAT system for my small LAN. This
> could be a learning experience for me. Thanks for any information you
> guys can give me.

>     Cory

> P.S: Sorry about the cross-posting if this isn't acceptable in these
> groups. I'm new here so just let me know if it's not accepted and I
> won't do it again.

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by Thomas Vea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unless I'm missing something, - the doublespaced drive won't mean squat to
Linux. DS is a dos program. All Linux will see is the real hard drive (about
250meg). Not much for any Linux GUI. Linux itself will run fine, but a GUI
will be real slow and cumbersome (if it runs at all).
Keep the DOS 6.22 ( Or go get FreeDos) and check out www.newdealinc.com
(formerly GeoWorks), you'll find a pretty capable GUI for dos that runs real
well in dos 6.22 and even older.
The other alternative is to get a bigger HD.

Quote:> My grandpa just got a old 486 Laptop for free from a friend, it has 48

Post by Da » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> My grandpa just got a old 486 Laptop for free from a friend, it has 48 megs
> of RAM and a 250 meg hard drive double-spaced to 500 megs. Only a floppy
> drive, not sure about PCMCIA slots or anything, haven't seen the thing yet.

48 megs... wow!  Not bad for a 486/75.  I have a 486/75 laptop that's maxed
at 36 megs, and I wish I had 48. :)

Anyway, you're right in believing that Linux is the way to go here.  I've
run it on mine since the summer of 1997, starting with Red Hat 4.2 and
progressing through Red Hat 5.0, 5.2 and 6.0 before switching over to
TurboLinux TurboCluster Server (yes, my laptop is part of a server cluster,
along with my wife's P-120 laptop!  You can read about this insanity at
http://dbirchall.epinions.com/cmd-review-2C1D-F7A1FA-38C05A81-prod8 if you
want).  It serves as the secondary DNS server and mailserver for my domain,
and also runs a few web sites single-handedly, in addition to handling
part of the load for several sites that run on the cluster.  And it can
still run X while doing all that. :)

Mine had a 350 meg hard drive when I got it; I had to be pretty selective
with what I installed.  But if your grandpa is just looking at websurfing
or whatever, and doesn't need a whole lot of the optional things, you
should be able to get it onto the 250; I've done it on a 200 before (and
I think I might even have done it on a 100, sans X).

I don't think the 486 will fare well trying to run the current crop of
Linux office suites - I tried running StarOffice on mine, and boy, was it
slow.

If you were going to upgrade any part of that system, I'd recommend
looking for a higher-capacity hard drive.  250 is pretty tight for
dual-booting; if you could drop in even a 1-gig, you'd have room for
Linux and another OS or two.

Just some general thoughts there.

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley, Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org
Get paid for your opinions - http://epinions.scream.org/join.html

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:45:03 -0400, Thomas Veach said:

Quote:>Unless I'm missing something, - the doublespaced drive won't mean squat to
>Linux. DS is a dos program. All Linux will see is the real hard drive (about
>250meg). Not much for any Linux GUI. Linux itself will run fine, but a GUI
>will be real slow and cumbersome (if it runs at all).

It will run; I had Redhat 6.1 with X installed in that (no KDE or GNOME,
though). It is slow, but no slower that 95 running on the same machine :-)

--
My ISP's news server was messed up recently; sorry if you haven't
heard a reply from me.

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by Chris Carbaug » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Win95 will install in about 80MB of space.  Debian is a faily lean
install for Linux, I believe slack is too, but have no experience.

You didn't say how fast the 486 is, but if your lucky and it's 66Mhz,
you can take your pick of the 3 OS's above.  As much as I hate to say
it, Win95 is probably your best bet.  The older the software from MS is,
the smaller it will be (can you say bloatware :).

The only office app I know of for Linux that has full Office2K
compatibility is StarOffice, and that's not going to fit in 250MB.

Check pricewatch.com out for a new drive.  $60-$100 == 1GB+ for a 2.5"
drive.  Make short you get one that will fit (check the height).

Chris

> Unless I'm missing something, - the doublespaced drive won't mean squat to
> Linux. DS is a dos program. All Linux will see is the real hard drive (about
> 250meg). Not much for any Linux GUI. Linux itself will run fine, but a GUI
> will be real slow and cumbersome (if it runs at all).
> Keep the DOS 6.22 ( Or go get FreeDos) and check out www.newdealinc.com
> (formerly GeoWorks), you'll find a pretty capable GUI for dos that runs real
> well in dos 6.22 and even older.
> The other alternative is to get a bigger HD.

> > My grandpa just got a old 486 Laptop for free from a friend, it has 48
> megs
> > of RAM and a 250 meg hard drive double-spaced to 500 megs. Only a floppy
> > drive, not sure about PCMCIA slots or anything, haven't seen the thing
> yet.
> > He wanted to put his old floppy version Win 95 A on there to give him
> > something other than DOS 6.22 and Win 1.11 to play with. I told him Win 95
> > would be a bit heavyweight for a small drive like that and with a slow CPU
> > with that limited RAM. I told him his best bet would probably be using
> some
> > variation of Linux since it was fairly lightweight and shouldn't take too
> > much hard drive space. What is a nice small Linux that will run a GUI
> (also
> > what GUI should I use) what are some office programs to run, he uses Word
> > Perfect at his office, but they want to migrate to MS Word. What programs
> > will be fully compatible with WP 4/5 and Word or either that aren't too
> big?
> > How do I get Linux on there through the floppy drive? I've heard some
> Linux
> > are small enough to run off the floppy so I think it would be possible to
> > get a 50-100 meg Linux on there for just the OS leaving 400 megs for other
> > things. I'm kind of a newbie to Linux, any resources and advice would be
> > greatly appreciated as I'm pretty much diving in blind at this point. I
> hear
> > many Linux distributions are free or have free lighter versions for
> > download, I have a cable modem so I can get these downloaded fairly
> quickly
> > so a site to get some distributions from would help too. I have a 486 just
> > waiting for a hard drive (getting in a month when I get a 75GXP IBM for my
> > main system) to install Linux and be a Linux box to play with and possibly
> > be a routing/NAT system for my small LAN. This could be a learning
> > experience for me. Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

> >     Cory

> > P.S: Sorry about the cross-posting if this isn't acceptable in these
> groups.
> > I'm new here so just let me know if it's not accepted and I won't do it
> > again.

> Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my employer.

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by adgdgh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It's actually a AMD DX4/100 chip in tehre running at 75 MHz, probably 75 MHz
for cooling rasons since no fan. Turns out it's got 20 megs of RAM. The hard
drove is connected to teh motherboard by a thin strip with conducting wires
in it, it is a 44 pin cable (counted thrice), so there goes my idea of using
a standard IDE drive to install software and OS. It has 2 PCMCIA slots. Well
thanks for the info, I'll look into it some more, at least now a have a
general idea of where to start.

> [...]

just
> > > waiting for a hard drive (getting in a month when I get a 75GXP IBM
for my
> > > main system) to install Linux and be a Linux box to play with and
possibly
> > > be a routing/NAT system for my small LAN. This could be a learning
> > > experience for me. Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

> > >     Cory

> > > P.S: Sorry about the cross-posting if this isn't acceptable in these
> > groups.
> > > I'm new here so just let me know if it's not accepted and I won't do
it
> > > again.

> > Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my

employer.

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by adgdgh » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Well I first saw the machine today, turns out it has 20 megs of ram an AMD

> > My grandpa just got a old 486 Laptop for free from a friend, it has 48
megs
> > of RAM and a 250 meg hard drive double-spaced to 500 megs. Only a floppy
> > drive, not sure about PCMCIA slots or anything, haven't seen the thing
yet.

> 48 megs... wow!  Not bad for a 486/75.  I have a 486/75 laptop that's
maxed
> at 36 megs, and I wish I had 48. :)

> Anyway, you're right in believing that Linux is the way to go here.  I've
> run it on mine since the summer of 1997, starting with Red Hat 4.2 and
> progressing through Red Hat 5.0, 5.2 and 6.0 before switching over to
> TurboLinux TurboCluster Server (yes, my laptop is part of a server
cluster,
> along with my wife's P-120 laptop!  You can read about this insanity at
> http://dbirchall.epinions.com/cmd-review-2C1D-F7A1FA-38C05A81-prod8 if you
> want).  It serves as the secondary DNS server and mailserver for my
domain,
> and also runs a few web sites single-handedly, in addition to handling
> part of the load for several sites that run on the cluster.  And it can
> still run X while doing all that. :)

> Mine had a 350 meg hard drive when I got it; I had to be pretty selective
> with what I installed.  But if your grandpa is just looking at websurfing
> or whatever, and doesn't need a whole lot of the optional things, you
> should be able to get it onto the 250; I've done it on a 200 before (and
> I think I might even have done it on a 100, sans X).

> I don't think the 486 will fare well trying to run the current crop of
> Linux office suites - I tried running StarOffice on mine, and boy, was it
> slow.

> If you were going to upgrade any part of that system, I'd recommend
> looking for a higher-capacity hard drive.  250 is pretty tight for
> dual-booting; if you could drop in even a 1-gig, you'd have room for
> Linux and another OS or two.

> Just some general thoughts there.

> -Dan

> --
> Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley, Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org
> Get paid for your opinions - http://epinions.scream.org/join.html
> My address expires - take out the hex stamp if your reply bounces

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by Steve D » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Keep in mind the usability of the machine. How well would your grandfather be able
to run a Linux machine? I've had people ask me about linux that hardly knew what
they were doing on a windoze machine. I will tell them that straight up.

Keep in mind with win95 you'll be able to drivespace this disk for more room, you
do that under linux. A 486/75 isn't that bad, as long as you aren't running video or
anything, and I suspect your grandfather won't if he's only used to win3.1 anyway.

I hate windoze as much as anyone, in fact I don't even use it at all anymore, but
I still wouldn't recommend Linux to just anyone.

steve...

> My grandpa just got a old 486 Laptop for free from a friend, it has 48
> megs of RAM and a 250 meg hard drive double-spaced to 500 megs. Only a
> floppy drive, not sure about PCMCIA slots or anything, haven't seen the
> thing yet. He wanted to put his old floppy version Win 95 A on there to
> give him something other than DOS 6.22 and Win 1.11 to play with. I told
> him Win 95 would be a bit heavyweight for a small drive like that and
> with a slow CPU with that limited RAM. I told him his best bet would
> probably be using some variation of Linux since it was fairly
> lightweight and shouldn't take too much hard drive space. What is a nice
> small Linux that will run a GUI (also what GUI should I use) what are
> some office programs to run, he uses Word Perfect at his office, but
> they want to migrate to MS Word. What programs will be fully compatible
> with WP 4/5 and Word or either that aren't too big? How do I get Linux
> on there through the floppy drive? I've heard some Linux are small
> enough to run off the floppy so I think it would be possible to get a
> 50-100 meg Linux on there for just the OS leaving 400 megs for other
> things. I'm kind of a newbie to Linux, any resources and advice would be
> greatly appreciated as I'm pretty much diving in blind at this point. I
> hear many Linux distributions are free or have free lighter versions for
> download, I have a cable modem so I can get these downloaded fairly
> quickly so a site to get some distributions from would help too. I have
> a 486 just waiting for a hard drive (getting in a month when I get a
> 75GXP IBM for my main system) to install Linux and be a Linux box to
> play with and possibly be a routing/NAT system for my small LAN. This
> could be a learning experience for me. Thanks for any information you
> guys can give me.

>     Cory

> P.S: Sorry about the cross-posting if this isn't acceptable in these
> groups. I'm new here so just let me know if it's not accepted and I
> won't do it again.

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by Da » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Well I first saw the machine today, turns out it has 20 megs of ram an AMD

20's better than nothing, but it won't run Netscape 4.x with that...
it'll definitely handle Linux, X, and smaller apps, though (and almost
anything is a smaller app than Netscape 4.x ;)

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley, Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org
Get paid for your opinions - http://epinions.scream.org/join.html
My address expires - take out the hex stamp if your reply bounces

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by James Jah » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you need a GUI really your only viable choice is Windows 95 running with MS
disk compression utility... I have a desktop 486 SX/33 w/ 16 mb and a 120 meg
drive sitting next to me running 95 OSR 2 so I can use Office, its slow but it
works... If you don't need a GUI then there is no question in my mind --Linux
all the way... An installation of X would really be pushing the limits of your
harddisk, you could do it mind you, just not much space left over. Making X work
with older laptop displays I've found to be quite a chore as well... If you want
plug your 2.5" laptop drive into a desktop for installation purposes it is
possible to solder up an adapter. My buddy has done so --he found a schematic
somewhere on the web... My best advise to you is to get a slightly larger
harddisk from one of the online auction houses. For maybe a $50 investment you
could prevent your laptop from becoming a paperweight for a while...

--
J. Jahr

> It's actually a AMD DX4/100 chip in tehre running at 75 MHz, probably 75 MHz
> for cooling rasons since no fan. Turns out it's got 20 megs of RAM. The hard
> drove is connected to teh motherboard by a thin strip with conducting wires
> in it, it is a 44 pin cable (counted thrice), so there goes my idea of using
> a standard IDE drive to install software and OS. It has 2 PCMCIA slots. Well
> thanks for the info, I'll look into it some more, at least now a have a
> general idea of where to start.

> > Win95 will install in about 80MB of space.  Debian is a faily lean
> > install for Linux, I believe slack is too, but have no experience.

> > You didn't say how fast the 486 is, but if your lucky and it's 66Mhz,
> > you can take your pick of the 3 OS's above.  As much as I hate to say
> > it, Win95 is probably your best bet.  The older the software from MS is,
> > the smaller it will be (can you say bloatware :).

> > The only office app I know of for Linux that has full Office2K
> > compatibility is StarOffice, and that's not going to fit in 250MB.

> > Check pricewatch.com out for a new drive.  $60-$100 == 1GB+ for a 2.5"
> > drive.  Make short you get one that will fit (check the height).

> > Chris

> > > Unless I'm missing something, - the doublespaced drive won't mean squat
> > > Linux. DS is a dos program. All Linux will see is the real hard drive
> (about
> > > 250meg). Not much for any Linux GUI. Linux itself will run fine, but a
> GUI
> > > will be real slow and cumbersome (if it runs at all).
> > > Keep the DOS 6.22 ( Or go get FreeDos) and check out www.newdealinc.com
> > > (formerly GeoWorks), you'll find a pretty capable GUI for dos that runs
> real
> > > well in dos 6.22 and even older.
> > > The other alternative is to get a bigger HD.

> > > megs
> floppy
> > > yet.
> Win 95
> CPU
> > > some
> too
> > > (also
> Word
> programs
> too
> > > big?
> > > Linux
> other
> be
> > > hear
> > > quickly
> just
> for my
> possibly

> > > groups.
> it

> > > Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my
> employer.

486/75 Laptop, Linux the answer?

Post by Alve » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi!
Well personaly I run slackware on a portable 486 cx25 with 12 mb RAM, and it
runs X fine. I use gnome with ICEWM instead of enlightenment, and run only
the needed daemons to save memory...
Best of luck ! Win95 was to slow on my machine to do anything...

J.Alver

> [...]

Well
>> thanks for the info, I'll look into it some more, at least now a have a
>> general idea of where to start.

>> > Win95 will install in about 80MB of space.  Debian is a faily lean
>> > install for Linux, I believe slack is too, but have no experience.

>> > You didn't say how fast the 486 is, but if your lucky and it's 66Mhz,
>> > you can take your pick of the 3 OS's above.  As much as I hate to say
>> > it, Win95 is probably your best bet.  The older the software from MS
is,
>> > the smaller it will be (can you say bloatware :).

>> > The only office app I know of for Linux that has full Office2K
>> > compatibility is StarOffice, and that's not going to fit in 250MB.

>> > Check pricewatch.com out for a new drive.  $60-$100 == 1GB+ for a 2.5"
>> > drive.  Make short you get one that will fit (check the height).

1. Upgrade Cyrix 486-40 to Pentium 75

Is it possible, on a motherboard designed for a 486, to replace a Cyrix
486-40 with a Pentium 75? I did not think so; however, I have noticed
that the 486 currently installed only utilizes a subset of the holes
available on the socket.

In case the upgrade is not possible, does anybody know why the socket
has more holes than the processor has pins?

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
Raytheon Systems Company

2. SCO Emulator for Solaris ?

3. 486/75 takes 24 hours to compile kernel--help!

4. How do you add patches????

5. Dell Laptop (XPI 75 ) and Linux

6. [PATCH] smoother VM for -ac

7. experiences with AMD 586 133 (P-75) CPU/MB's or Pentium 75?

8. mmdf problem

9. Wanted: Xfree86 Config file for NEC p/75 laptop

10. Help needed: NEC VERSA P/75 laptop Xconfig

11. NEC Versa P/75 Laptop - help!

12. Your Advice-Answers NEEded-Linux 486 system for Inet site