SLIP with IRIX6.2 SLIP server

Post by Witek Kwiatkowsk » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've setup a SLIP server on the IRIX6.2 box.
I decided to use a proxy-arp routing so I run on IRIX:

arp -s slip-client server-ethernet-address pub
routed -h

and as login shell I run:

exec /usr/etc/slip -p cslip -i -m 255.255.255.0 -l slip-server -r slip-client

On Linux slip-client I run dip script like this:

get $local slip-client
get $remote slip-server
netmask 255.255.255.0
default
mode CSLIP

After login when I run on the Linux box:

route

I have to wait about 5 minutes to get the output
and one of the entries is:

default  slip-server  0.0.0.0 UG ..

Why the netmask is set as 0.0.0.0 while I requested 255.255.255.0 ?

The connection works only for a local network of the slip-server. So I can
telnet to the slip-server and to a couple of other machines but not to the
world.
If I run on the slip-server netstat -r I can see an entry like this:

slip-client slip-server       UH ...

I tried on the slip-client:

route del default
route add default gw slip-server netmask 255.255.255.0

but then I could connect ONLY to the slip-server.

So, I have routing problem. Any suggestion what could possibly cause
it and how to tackle this problem?

Thanks,

Witek Kwiatkowski

1. SLIP and DIP only reaches slip server, help!

I can ping my local linux loopback, I can ping the slip server.  But I can't
access anything else.  I have entries for other machines, nameservers, etc. in
/etc/hosts, but they are unreachable.

Does this behavior have anything to do with /etc/diphosts?  I'm using
dip337b-uri.

Thanks,
Brandon

--
*--------------------------------------------------------*
|  LaUNChpad is a free internet service provided by but  |

2. Please help a newbie

3. SLIP - cannot get past the slip server

4. My complaint about Ren

5. SLIP Connection to University SLIP Server: Need Help

6. Hard links vs. Soft links

7. SLIP server (linux) SLIP client (winsock) help please

8. newfs options

9. SLIP SLIP SLIP. I need slip for Solaris 2.3 / 2.4!

10. SLIP for Solaris 2.3: slip-solaris-3

11. SLIP only pings SLIP host?

12. Slipping on SLIP

13. SLIP is not [C]SLIP -- help?