Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To: New Version

Post by Yves Bellefeuil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

--

Francais / English / Esperanto
Fight Spam! Join CAUCE cost-free: http://www.cauce.org/

Post by Kenny McCorma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>The Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To has been updated. The new version is
>number 2.11, dated 13 April 2000.

>This document explains how to copy, or migrate, a Linux system from one
>hard disk to another, for example when replacing a small hard disk with
>a larger one. It has been tested with Red Hat 6.0, Debian 2.1, Slackware
>3.5 and SuSE 6.2, and contains specific instructions for each of these
>distributions.
>Principal changes in this version: Use of "tar" to copy hard disks no
>longer recommended due to a bug.

Just out of curiosity, which bug is this?  I'm curious because I don't use
tar b/c of a bug that I am aware of - and want to know if yours is the same
as mine.

Also, why no mention of cpio?  cpio has always seemed to me the safest,
easiest, most reliable way to do "XCOPY" under Unix.  I learned it 15 years
ago and it still works...

Post by Jean-David Beye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Also, why no mention of cpio?  cpio has always seemed to me the safest,
> easiest, most reliable way to do "XCOPY" under Unix.  I learned it 15 years
> ago and it still works...

I never understood why tar survived. When I worked at Bell Labs, I think we
got rid of it in the early 1980's; I am not sure of the exact date. We
replaced it with cpio because it was so much more reliable and flexible (we
had to exchange data with multiple machines of differing architectures (byte
ordering, high-endian vs. low-endian, etc.). tar, at least in those days, just
could not deal with that.

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
                               /V\

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

]>Principal changes in this version: Use of "tar" to copy hard disks no
]>longer recommended due to a bug.

]Just out of curiosity, which bug is this?  I'm curious because I don't use
]tar b/c of a bug that I am aware of - and want to know if yours is the same
]as mine.

You are as bad as each other. You also do not state what your bug is. Is
this some secret society handshake being conducted in public?

Post by Dave Bro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>Principal changes in this version: Use of "tar" to copy hard disks no
>>longer recommended due to a bug.

>Just out of curiosity, which bug is this?  I'm curious because I don't use
>tar b/c of a bug that I am aware of - and want to know if yours is the same
>as mine.

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you post the bug that you're aware of,
so that the rest of us could consider it?  "I'll show you my bug if you
show me yours."??

Quote:>Also, why no mention of cpio?  cpio has always seemed to me the safest,
>easiest, most reliable way to do "XCOPY" under Unix.  I learned it 15 years
>ago and it still works...

What does cpio do that tar does not?  I've always used tar because cpio
seemed to leave out too many obvious choices that were tar defaults.  I
realize tar has limitations, such as path-name length, userid maximum, etc,
but I assumed that cpio probably had similar limits.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To: New Version

Post by Yves Bellefeuil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Just out of curiosity, which bug is this?

The Mini How-To recommended using tar as follows:

    (cd / && tar cpf - . --exclude new-disk --exclude proc) |
    (cd /new-disk && tar xpf -)

The intent of the --exclude options was that /new-disk and /proc not be
copied. However, other files with these names were also not copied, such
as:

    /usr/lib/tclX8.0.4/help/tcl/control/proc
    /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/fs/proc

There's probably a work-around to solve this problem, but for now I
decided to issue an "interim" release of the Mini How-To that didn't
mention tar and to look into it later. Besides, tar was the slowest
method anyway.

I thought it wouldn't be worthwhile explaining all this in the Mini
How-To itself, and I just pointed out that the tar method had been
removed. Apologies if I was wrong.

Quote:> Also, why no mention of cpio?

I've added this to the Mini How-To:

    There are of course many other ways to copy the disks, but these
    three are the simplest, quickest, and most reliable.

I've tried cpio, but it seems to be slower than the other methods, at
least on my system, and I couldn't see any advantages to using it. Of
course, feel free to use cpio if you wish! ;-)

--

Post by Peter T. Breu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:     (cd / && tar cpf - . --exclude new-disk --exclude proc) |
:     (cd /new-disk && tar xpf -)

: The intent of the --exclude options was that /new-disk and /proc not be

The usual method is to use the "l" flag. Stay on "local" file system.

     tar cplvfC - / . | tar xplvfC - /new-disk

and repeat for other partitions. Viz:

     tar cplvfC - /usr . | tar xplvfC - /new-disk/usr

etc.

Peter

Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To: New Version

Post by Kenny McCorma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>]>Principal changes in this version: Use of "tar" to copy hard disks no
>]>longer recommended due to a bug.

>]Just out of curiosity, which bug is this?  I'm curious because I don't use
>]tar b/c of a bug that I am aware of - and want to know if yours is the same
>]as mine.

>You are as bad as each other. You also do not state what your bug is. Is
>this some secret society handshake being conducted in public?

I have posted about them at length - in this very NG.  I didn't feel like
repeating myself.

Learn how to use Deja - it can be your friend.

Post by Michael Meissne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> What does cpio do that tar does not?  I've always used tar because cpio
> seemed to leave out too many obvious choices that were tar defaults.  I
> realize tar has limitations, such as path-name length, userid maximum, etc,
> but I assumed that cpio probably had similar limits.

Cpio can dump things like the directory entry but not all of the files in the
directory (in tar if you mention a directory, it dumps everything in the
directory).  Cpio can dump out longer pathnames than tar.  GNU cpio has an
option for doing a checksum on the files.  However, with cpio, you have to use
find to get the file names to dump, while with tar you put it on the command
line by default.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.

1. Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To: New Version

2. FAX-MODEM Driver?

3. SuSE 6.2 and Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To

4. RH 7.3 and movie files

5. Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To Update

6. mod dep for SBLIVE(REDHAT_6.1)

7. ANNOUNCE: Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To

8. Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To

9. Replacing the Hard Disk Mini How-To

10. Hard disk upgrade - how to get everything (linux/Windows95) on new disk

11. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????