SBLive card causes lockup!

Post by mbly.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I've been having terrible trouble getting RedHat 6.2 to boot, and
finally got frustrated enough to yank out my PCI cards.  When I yanked
out my SBLive card it booted up just fine.  Here is the behavior I get
when the card is in a slot:

1) I select 'linux' at the LILO prompt
2) Next line shows "Loading Linux........"
3) Goes to next line and freezes

There is no further output.  No "uncompressing kernel" message.
Keyboard is locked and I must press reset button.  Taking out the
SBLive card makes it all magically work.

With the SBLive in place, I am able to successfully boot to Windows98
with no trouble whatsoever, so I'm guessing it can't be a hardware
conflict.  Yet it doesn't seem that the kernel is getting far enough
for it to be a driver problem.

One interesting tidbit.  If I boot from the installation floppy that
comes with RH6.2 by typing 'vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6', the machine boots
just fine even with the SBLive in the machine.  Booting from the boot
disk created during installation freezes just like booting from the HD.

I've tried upgrading the kernel to 2.2.16-3 using the RPMs from RedHat,
but it still freezes.  FYI, I'm running an Athlon 800 on a Tyan Trinity
K7 SlotA motherboard.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get this to work?

Thanks,

Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SBLive card causes lockup!

Post by Bill Pringlemei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am using an SB Live card with a Mandrake distribution.  Very similar
to yours.  Things are fine.  I suggest that you disable the Plug and
play support in your BIOS.  Linux is not currently a plug and play OS.
All of the hardware resources must be assigned at boot time.

Plug and Play allows dynamic allocation of these resources.  Your BIOS
should pick sane values.  Check out the pnpdump, isapnp and
ipapnp.conf man pages.  Also, I have had good luck with the ALSA
drivers for sound.  The other drivers (OSS) didn't seem to work too
well for me.  (Very subjective comment, I don't intend to deride
anyones work...)  Here is a link to get you started,

 "http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/"

[can someone tell me how to copy text from one program to another
under GNOME/X-windows?  I have the URL in a Netscape location window,
but I have to retype it in my emacs/Gnus window.  That really sucks.]

fwiw,
Bill

 mblythe> Hi, I've been having terrible trouble getting RedHat 6.2 to
 mblythe> boot, and finally got frustrated enough to yank out my PCI
 mblythe> cards.  When I yanked out my SBLive card it booted up just
 mblythe> fine.  Here is the behavior I get when the card is in a
 mblythe> slot:

 mblythe> 1) I select 'linux' at the LILO prompt 2) Next line shows
 mblythe> "Loading Linux........"  3) Goes to next line and freezes

1. SBLIVE causes reboot

Hi:

After updating my sources, make world, and recompiling my kernel today,
I noticed that there now seems to be support for my SBLive.
Unfortunatley, any attempt to play sound through the SBLive results in
an immediate reboot. (BTW, I have a dual cpu Dell Precision 410 with
FreeBSD 4.0-stable smp enabled and an onboard crystal sound card.)  I
tried to play mp3's first with the onboard sound disabled (only emu10k1,
onboard css disbled in the bios); in ths case, the sblive is pcm0,
as stated by cat /dev/sndstat. Upon trying to play sound with either
xmms or mpg123, the system reboots with mpg123 stating a ram parity
error has occured.  If I re-enable the onboard cyrstal sound card, I can
play sound no problem (pcm1), but if I again try to play sound through
the sblive (pcm0), the system reboots.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
and sorry this is so long.

MAR

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Masq & diald work....almost

3. Savage 3D/PCI 10/100mbps card/SBLive 128 card

4. Problem writing a device driver for Nogatech CaptureVision PCMCIA card

5. XF86_SVGA causes system lockup!

6. Weekly Posting: Where to Find Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Pointer)

7. Swtiching VT's causing lockups under 3.3.2

8. Problem with configuring audio hardware built into Tyan Tigercub Micro ATX motherboard.

9. swap causes quasi lockup -> CPU & Memory Quota

10. Sudden Lockups With No Clue As To Cause

11. RTC causes hard lockups in 2.5.70-mm8

12. X11 and snd causing system lockups!

13. Accessing Yamaha CRW4416S CD writer causes complete lockup