MH for Linux - How do I install it?

Post by Wes Park » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to install MH-6.8.3 on my Linux box, running 1.2.8.  I am
having a problem with the instructions in the README and the FAQ.  I
have untarred the distibution file in the root directory and then
untarred the diffs. files, but when I try to patch the files I get a
message that says: this must be a unified diffs file, what file do you
want to patch, and then I go to a prompt.

Duh....I tried a few of what I thought were the file names in the
diffs file, but no joy.  So I tried reinstalling the distribution in
its own directory (mh-6.8-dist), but that didn't make a difference.
(Now that I think about it, why should it have?) One tine when I got
the "what file do you want to patch?" prompt, I even tried answering
with the truth: "I have no f**king idea!", but that didn't work
either.

So.  I've tried to be good.  I've tried to read the FAQ and I've tried
to RTFM, but it appears that either I'm totally dense or that I didn't
find the right FM.

Any insights?  (Preferably helpful ones... I'm already painfully aware
of my intellectual deficiencies!)

Wes
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form,
in whole or in part. Copyright, Wes Parker, 1995. License to distribute
this post is available to Microsoft for $1000. Posting without permission
constitutes an agreement to these terms. Please send notices of violation

Post by Rosina Bigna » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

    Wes> I am trying to install MH-6.8.3 on my Linux box, running
    Wes> 1.2.8.  I am having a problem with the instructions in the
    Wes> README and the FAQ.  I have untarred the distibution file in
    Wes> the root directory and then untarred the diffs. files, but
    Wes> when I try to patch the files I get a message that says: this
    Wes> must be a unified diffs file, what file do you want to patch,
    Wes> and then I go to a prompt.

Having successfully installed MH on my Linux box, perhaps I can help.
If you get the binary from sunsite (or one of the mirrors), all you
need do is install it in /usr/local (if I remember right -- it says
where in the README).

The patch is for the MH source distribution.  *If* you want to compile
it yourself (which I don't recommend based on other people's
experiences compiling MH), then you will need to get the MH source,
untar the source and apply the patch you got from sunsite to it.
Supposedly, then MH should compile fine.  I have never tried it, so I
can't say for sure.

My recommendation:  Install the binary from sunsite, run sendmail as a
daemon (if you don't already).  And happily use MH.

Good luck :)

Rosina Bignall

--

A. Rosina Bignall
Webmaster, Computer Science Department, Brigham Young University

MH for Linux - How do I install it?

Post by Nirva » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

        Excuse me, what is MH :?

                                                                Nirvana

Post by James N. Pot » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Having successfully installed MH on my Linux box, perhaps I can help.
>If you get the binary from sunsite (or one of the mirrors), all you
>need do is install it in /usr/local (if I remember right -- it says
>where in the README).
[stuff deleted]
>My recommendation:  Install the binary from sunsite, run sendmail as a
>daemon (if you don't already).  And happily use MH.

I've tried to get mh running this way, but I have a problem.  "post" hangs
after it is invoked (by comp, repl, etc).  I'm assuming that I've got a
configuration problem, but I'm not sure what.  Sendmail is happily running
as a daemon, and I can mail messages with both mailx and elm.

Any ideas?

-Jim

MH for Linux - How do I install it?

Post by James N. Pot » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I've tried to get mh running this way, but I have a problem.  "post" hangs
>after it is invoked (by comp, repl, etc).  I'm assuming that I've got a
>configuration problem, but I'm not sure what.  Sendmail is happily running
>as a daemon, and I can mail messages with both mailx and elm.

Bah.  I should have posted a while ago, since within 5 minutes of posting,
I found my configuration problem (the server entry in mtstailor was
slightly mangled).

If you were planning on being nice and following-up for me, thanks. =)

-Jim

MH for Linux - How do I install it?

Post by root » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Are you using popd? I'm having trouble running popd with the binary
distribution. It exits immediately after I run the program. I played
with /etc/services by changing pop2 to pop, but still no success.
Any ideas?

ATT Solutions                   Tel:    608.258.2124
Madison, WI.                    Fax:    608.258.2172

Post by Eric Di » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>    Excuse me, what is MH ?

MH is a mail client ("Mail Handler")... check out the FAQ (by FTP) at:

 mirrors.aol.com

get //mir01/RTFM/pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/mail/mh-faq/part1.

Eric