Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

Post by Alexander Agrano » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm currently having only 300 Mb for my Linux partition and would like
to enlarge it. I've used Partition Magic for resizing my Win95
partitions, when I've installed Linux. Now I'd wish to use it for
resizing Linux partitions too.

The problem is that Partition Magic doesn't seem to recognize the type
of Linux partition - it marks it as "unknown type", even though it
pretends to know some "Linux type". Is it safe to resize my Linux
partition anyway? Did anybody suceed with it? Repartitioning requires
some sort of reformatting, doesn't it? If so, how PM would manage to
reformat Linux partition if it doesn't properly recognize it?

FYI, I'm using RedHat Linux 5.0 and Partition Magic 3.0.

Thanks in advance,
                    Sasha

--
"Bless Be He Who Has a God In Him,
  For I Can No Longer Find Mine"

|  (   )    0ooo.      (972) 8 9131187        |
+---\ (-----(   )-----------------------------+
     \_)     ) /
            (_/

Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

Post by Michael Nezezo » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Partition Magic will not safely resize Linux partitions.  Just use PM to
resize your Windopes95 partition to make room for a larger Linux partition
and use FIPS on the Linux partitions.

MIke

Post by Brion Vibbe » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

> I'm currently having only 300 Mb for my Linux partition and would like
> to enlarge it. I've used Partition Magic for resizing my Win95
> partitions, when I've installed Linux. Now I'd wish to use it for
> resizing Linux partitions too.

> The problem is that Partition Magic doesn't seem to recognize the type
> of Linux partition - it marks it as "unknown type", even though it
> pretends to know some "Linux type". Is it safe to resize my Linux
> partition anyway? Did anybody suceed with it? Repartitioning requires
> some sort of reformatting, doesn't it? If so, how PM would manage to
> reformat Linux partition if it doesn't properly recognize it?

PartitionMagic itself doesn't do Linux partitions, however there is now
a utility out that should be able to do this. It's currently available
only for registered PartitionMagic 3.x users. Take a look at
http://www.eklektix.com/lwn/980514/a/resizefs.html for more info.

Oh, and if it works please drop me a line as I am unable to download the
utility (it claims my zip code doesn't match, my serial number is wrong,
or I have previously downloaded the software, none of which are true)
and the PowerQuest e-mail support people don't seem to believe that it
exists so when I asked them about it they brushed me off...

Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

Post by Phil » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> PartitionMagic itself doesn't do Linux partitions, however there is now
> a utility out that should be able to do this. It's currently available
> only for registered PartitionMagic 3.x users. Take a look at
> http://www.eklektix.com/lwn/980514/a/resizefs.html for more info.

> Oh, and if it works please drop me a line as I am unable to download the
> utility (it claims my zip code doesn't match, my serial number is wrong,
> or I have previously downloaded the software, none of which are true)
> and the PowerQuest e-mail support people don't seem to believe that it
> exists so when I asked them about it they brushed me off...

Gee, makes me want to run right out and grab PartitionMagic right now!

Post by Swack » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>PartitionMagic itself doesn't do Linux partitions, however there is now
>a utility out that should be able to do this. It's currently available
>only for registered PartitionMagic 3.x users. Take a look at
>http://www.eklektix.com/lwn/980514/a/resizefs.html for more info.

>Oh, and if it works please drop me a line as I am unable to download the
>utility (it claims my zip code doesn't match, my serial number is wrong,
>or I have previously downloaded the software, none of which are true)
>and the PowerQuest e-mail support people don't seem to believe that it
>exists so when I asked them about it they brushed me off...

I havent tried it but here is the passwoed for the file

Thank you for registering.  You can download Resize2fs at
http://download.powerquest.com/lxresize.zip.  The password on the zip file
is 'ur4wcpy7z'.  Thanks for supporting PowerQuest products!

Good Luck
Jon

Post by John Passanit » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

>Gee, makes me want to run right out and grab PartitionMagic
>right now!

Of course, PartionMagic doesn't claim to do anything with Linux partitions,
so I wouldn't be too disappointed.  I have used PartitionMagic with great
success for what it is designed to do, and I have been happy with the
results.

Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

Post by Ron Jens » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

Partition Magic won't resize the partition, as has been noted. But you
can use PM to shuffle things around to end up with the same thing.
That is, shrink existing FAT partitions to minimum, make a new
partition just large enough to hold existing Linux installation, move
Linux to new one, then make a new, larger partition for Linux and move
your installation back to it. Its a long process, but not difficult.
See the hard disk upgrade mini-howto for tips on copying Linux to a
new disk (or partition). Make sure you know how to change LILO so it
finds the newly-moved Linux. Have a boot disk standing by in case you
mess up. Feel free to write me and ask about my recent move.

Post by Jacek Pliszk » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Partition Magic won't resize the partition, as has been noted. But you
> can use PM to shuffle things around to end up with the same thing.

There is something like resize2fs allowing for resizing
ext2 partitions so you don't have to move your stuff.
It is licensed to a registered Partition Magic users
but 'Search and you will find'.

I tried it with SCSI drive but it didn't work:
bad superblock error or something like that.

Regards,

Jacek Pliszka

1. Moving/Resizing Linux (ext2) partitions with Partition Magic: It works!

This is a success story - I didn't think it would work, but it did.  I did a
fairly complex set of operations (shrinking the FAT partition, moving the
extended partition, deleting one swap partition - resizing another one, and
moving/resizing the ext2 [Linux boot] partition), all in one Pmagic session,
and it worked just fine.

And here's the thing that's amazing: I did not have to re-run LILO - the
thing just booted up fine.  This totally amazed me, except for the fact that
this was a "LILO in the partition - booted by some other boot manager in the
MBR", rather than a "LILO in the MBR" setup.  So, it appears, Pmagic is
actually smart enough to fix the LILO setup if it is in the partition that
is being resized/moved.

Have I got this all right?  BTW, I've sort of lost my Pmagic documentation;
though in fact, I never really read it anyway - since this is the kind of
program that really should be self-documenting - which I've always found it
to be (translation: I haven't screwed up yet).

2. Can't seem to get KDM working . . .

3. Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

4. screen output with gcc compiler. Where is it?

5. Tunneling Software

6. Can Partition Magic resize ext2 partitions?

7. TOPDRAW

8. Resizing partitions with Partition Magic

9. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

10. Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

11. Newbie: How big a partition should be/resize Linux partition