Linux and ATAPI CD-ROM recognised from boot disk, not from LILO

Linux and ATAPI CD-ROM recognised from boot disk, not from LILO

Post by Dona » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

New to Linux.

I recently installed Linux (Slackware) from a CD.  I used a boot disk
configured for an ATAPI CD_ROM, the setup recognised the CD_ROM as
/dev/hd1a alright, and I was able to install from it.

The problem arises when I boot from the hard drive.  During the boot
sequence, it comes up with :

"mount: /dev/hd1a is not a block device"

Fstab contains:
"/dev/hd1a   /cdrom   is09660   ro  1  1"

I also tried (Suggested by Bryan Anderson in a similar Re:):

"mount -t iso9660  /dev/hdb  /cdrom"

but got:
"mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel"

Please help.

How do I get my CD-ROM mounted by LILO.

TIA

Eamon

Post by Ken Haybe » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> New to Linux.

> I recently installed Linux (Slackware) from a CD.  I used a boot disk
> configured for an ATAPI CD_ROM, the setup recognised the CD_ROM as
> /dev/hd1a alright, and I was able to install from it.

> The problem arises when I boot from the hard drive.  During the boot
> sequence, it comes up with :

> "mount: /dev/hd1a is not a block device"

> Fstab contains:
> "/dev/hd1a   /cdrom   is09660   ro  1  1"

> I also tried (Suggested by Bryan Anderson in a similar Re:):

> "mount -t iso9660  /dev/hdb  /cdrom"

> but got:
> "mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel"

> Please help.

> How do I get my CD-ROM mounted by LILO.

> TIA

> Eamon

I am not an expert (yet), but I had a similar problem.

1) First of all, you use two different devices when you refer to your
CDROM drive (/dev/hd1a and /dev/hdb).  Are you certain which one it is?
Your first HD should be /dev/hda (not /dev/hd1a).  Your second one is
/dev/hdb.

My CDROM is /dev/hdc since it is the first drive on my second IDE
controller.

2) Just because you selected the correct bootdisk (one that sees your
cdrom drive) doesn't mean that you installed the same one on your HD.
On my system the acutal kernel is a file in the root directory called
'vmlinuz'.  Yours may be adifferent name.

Compare this to the one on your boot disk.  If they are different then
that is likely the problem.  You may be able to copy the file from the
boot disk to the HD.  If not you'll need to find the correct kernel
somewhere else.

To copy to kernel:

Rename the current vmlinuz to something like vmlinuz.old for safety.
Then cp the other one; you'll need to mount the floppy somewhere.  Then
re-install LILO.  On my system (Slackware) the command is 'liloconfig'.
Just do a reinstall with current settings, or some such thing.

Hope this helps...

Post by Duncan Snelli » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: New to Linux.

: I recently installed Linux (Slackware) from a CD.  I used a boot disk
: configured for an ATAPI CD_ROM, the setup recognised the CD_ROM as
: /dev/hd1a alright, and I was able to install from it.

: The problem arises when I boot from the hard drive.  During the boot
: sequence, it comes up with :

: "mount: /dev/hd1a is not a block device"

: Fstab contains:
: "/dev/hd1a   /cdrom   is09660   ro  1  1"

: I also tried (Suggested by Bryan Anderson in a similar Re:):

: "mount -t iso9660  /dev/hdb  /cdrom"

: but got:
: "mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel"

: Eamon

I get the same/ similar effect booting using loadlin.  Booting from the boot
floppy made during setup (I have Slackware 3.0), the CD-ROM is recognised OK,
but booting from the hard drive (using loadlin) gives the same as above.  I'm
going to recompile my kernal this evening, and see if that cures it.
(kernel 1.2.13)

--

London, UK  SW15
      My views, not my employer's

1. ATAPI CD-ROM not recognized by probe on boot

I have 2 completely different systems running FreeBSD which do not
recognize the CD-ROM drive at boot up using the install floppies.  When I
say different, I mean different manufactureres CD-ROM drives, different
manufactureres IDE controllers, different manufactureres motherboards,
different BIOS manufacturers, etc. etc.

They both fail to recognize the CD-ROM drive with 2.1, 2.1.5 and 2.1.6.
They both WILL properly recognize the CD-ROM if I build a kernel without
the wd2 and wd3 devices defined.

I suspect this may have something to do with other peoples ATAPI CD-ROM
probe problems.  Evidently probing for the non-existant hard-drives on
the controller screws up either the CD-ROM drive or the IDE controller
(I'm not sure which) such that the probe for the CD-ROM drive fails.

I think 2 things are needed here:

1.  After a failed probe for an IDE device, the controller should be reset.

2.  It should be possible to disable the wd devices from probing at boot
    time.

I think if this is done, many peoples problems could be solved.

I have not had a chance to try the 2.2-GAMMA boot floppy yet.  I
apologize if this is already addressed in 2.2.

--
William A. Gianopoulos; Raytheon Company

This is my personal opinion and not that of my employer.

2. side effects of chroot ?

3. atapi ide cd-rom not detected when using idecd boot disk????!!!!

4. Customizing netscape...

5. Mitsumi IDE ATAPI CD-ROM not recognized

6. cnews and linux

7. ATAPI IDE CD-ROM (Mitsumi) Not Being Recognised

8. More confusion/Another DIP :)

9. ATAPI CD-ROM not recognized

10. HITACHI ATAPI CD-ROM: Recognized but not usable

11. Red Hat lilo problem with ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI disk

12. Linux 1.2.8 doesn't recognise Pioneer ATAPI CD-ROM drive

13. Linux 1.2.1/slackware 2.2 doesn't recognize atapi cd-rom drive